Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing supporting beams on basement wall

I need to install a few beams on a basement wall to support a slight bow. The problem is that the floor joist run parallel with the wall and there is one joist that is an inch or so away from the edge of the block so you cannot put the beam up into joist like you normally would. I would prefer not to noth the joist however it may not be that bad considering the rim joist is just a few inches away. Any suggestions?

krousebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,054

We need pictures.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,126

Sorry, your post is too confusing for me to understand. Perhaps a drawing of what exists and what you want to accomplish would help.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #4

Thanks for checking out the post. I will take pictures and post them this evening. Please check back later!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #5

Here are a couple of pics. As you can see the last joist is about 1" off of the wall. Where would I secure the beam at the top?
Attached Thumbnails
Installing supporting beams on basement wall-20140226_173218.jpg   Installing supporting beams on basement wall-20140226_173243.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

What is the span and what is the size floor joists? what is the sag? If it was my basement i would rather sister another joist along side existing rather than add a beam. If you ever finish the basement a beam and probably a post in middle will be in way. There is no way to add a beam to sit on top of foundation. If you are set on adding beam then you would remove part of the top cinder block so that the beam sits on lower coarse of block. With a 1.5 inch sill plate and 8" block that should leave you will perfect space for 2x10. You would probably want to triple it up but i dont know what the span is. Use a grinder to cut away a 4.5" slot for beam. Then use hammer and chiesel to remove what grinder could not get. Use Pt 2x10's because it is sitting directly on cider block.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

If it was a solid foundation you could use a beam hanger (picture joist hanger but thicker) which could still work with cinder block if you they were filled with cement but with that little gap it would be very hard.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #8

I think my question is misunderstood. I am trying to place a beam vertically to prevent my cinder block walls from bowing in any further. Attached is a picture of the adjacent wall already with a beam installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing supporting beams on basement wall-20140226_173330.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,126

OK, a little terminology will help you describe your project better to the next person. A beam is typically a structural element placed horizontally. When you install a "beam" vertically as in your picture it is typically called a post or a column. As to how to install a column to prevent further movement of the wall, usually you need to excavate well below the floor and install a concrete footing, which the steel column is embedded into. The idea is to prevent movement of the bottom of the column, which will be under substantial stress if the wall is still moving.

If the wall is not moving, there would be no need to install the column, so I am presuming that you know for a fact that your wall is still moving, and you know for a fact that you need to reinforce the wall. So you embed the bottom of the column in a substantial footing, then you tie the top of the column off to the house framing. You may need to add a doubled joist or something similar to support the top of the column, which needs to be rigidly fixed to the framing, which in turn must be rigidly fixed to the walls which are not moving.

This is a pretty advanced project, especially for DIY, and I suggest you seek on site help from someone or a contractor who has done this before, and understands the complexity of stopping movement of a wall.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. The movement is inward force from the basement wall, not downward force from the wall above.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 256

It might be easier (and cheaper) to find out what is causing the wall to heave and mitigate that.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #12
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,128

If it's any consolation, I knew what you were talking about from the original post. You're looking to install wall jacks/columns that connect between the concrete floor and wood floor joists. We have very clear specs and detailed drawings here in my area that are accepted by almost every local jurisdiction. Unfortunately, a few years ago, they decided to remove them from the web, so I don't think I can post a link to them anymore. I do have them in printed form for my own reference, thankfully, as I do some foundation repair for a living.

In your situation, the most common approach HERE in my locale is to install an offset column to avoid the top floor joist. All it consists of is a vert. column with another shorter length welded and overlapped at the top to avoid the obstruction. HERE, we use steel tubing (typically 2x4"x3/16" to 2x6"x1/4" depending on wall height) and the offsets are fairly standard. We also are required to block the first 3 joist spaces behind the column when the joists run parellel to the wall.

I'll see if I can scan a relevent detail and post it here tomorrow for you......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #13

That would be great.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 545

What's on the other side of the wall causing the stress.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 28

I like to DIY as much as the next guy but if you have a cinder block foundation wall bowing in, you need professional help. That is out of most DIYer's league.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote