Installing Stone Veneer On An Interior Fireplace - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing stone veneer on an interior fireplace

I have bought stone veneer to use on my fireplace. It will be used from the mantel down to the floor; above the mantel will remain drywall. I am going to build a new mantel and hang it first. Should I hang the tar paper, metal lath, and scratch coat from the 20 y/o drywall or replace it with same thickness plywood? Also, if plywood is best how do join the lower plywood with the drywall above it?

Advertisement

jbowling27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowling27 View Post
I have bought stone veneer to use on my fireplace. It will be used from the mantel down to the floor; above the mantel will remain drywall. I am going to build a new mantel and hang it first. Should I hang the tar paper, metal lath, and scratch coat from the 20 y/o drywall or replace it with same thickness plywood? Also, if plywood is best how do join the lower plywood with the drywall above it?
You can't use drywall as a substrate for stone.
You can use exterior ply or cement board. Use whatever the stone company suggests in the instructions.
To hide the transition, you would install the stone slightly above the cement board.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Actually Ron, cultured stone can go over drywall, it happens all the time. But, obviously, it needs the lath and plaster coat first.

I wouldn't go through the work of replacing the drywall unless you need to get access behind it for some reason.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Actually Ron, cultured stone can go over drywall, it happens all the time. But, obviously, it needs the lath and plaster coat first.

I wouldn't go through the work of replacing the drywall unless you need to get access behind it for some reason.
You learn something every day.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

Cultured stone can also be installed with thinset. Screw all that lath and scratch-coat stuff. No other prep would be required.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Cultured stone can also be installed with thinset. Screw all that lath and scratch-coat stuff. No other prep would be required.
You'd recommend thinsettting stone, and subsequent grouted joints, over 20 year old painted drywall w/o prep??????

You have alot more faith than I in thinset I guess, as well as the paper layer on drywall..............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

Quote:
You'd recommend thinsettting stone, and subsequent grouted joints, over 20 year old painted drywall w/o prep??????
Yup! Been doing it for thirty-five years.
Scuff the paint and go. Any quality modified thinset will adhere to the painted wall. The stone is stacked (sometimes using spacers). Once grouted a portion of the load is transferred to the floor. If the stone is to appear to be dry-stacked a portion of the load is transfer to the lower stones.

This method has the blessing of the faux stone manufacturers but they don't publish the method because they also sell mortar and lath with their systems that they like to consider proprietary and of course want to see the proceeds from. They sell a system but you don't have to use it (all).

Advertisement