DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing Stone Veneer to cement board on a wall

11K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Michael Olding 
#1 · (Edited)
I am installing a stone veneer (ledgestone, dry stack method) to a wall around my fireplace. I have the area framed and covered with 1/2" durock cement board. I was about to cover the cement board with roofing felt and then wire mesh so I could put on a 1/2" scratch coat. Doing some research online it appears this may or may not be necessary. Sounds like a lot of contractors just use thinset over the cement board and skip the felt/mesh/scratch coat.

I need the 1/2" scratch coat to make the dimensions of my corner pieces work out so I'll plan to use the mesh and scratch coat. However, do I need the "weather resistive" barrier (roofing felt)? Also, do I need to "seem" the cement board pieces (mesh tape and mortar) together or with the scratch coat take care of that?

If it matters, the stones I'm using vary in size from 3 inches to 21 inches in length and 1.5 inches to 5 inches in height.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.