Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

installing a spiral staircase


I have a 34" x 74 long opening in floor. It is 94 in from top of floor below to next level where this hole is. can I install a spiral staircase in this opening and if so what size diameter do I start with

curnscorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,518
Rewards Points: 4,152
Default

installing a spiral staircase


May be better of Googling Spiral stairs.
Almost any of the companys that sell them will be more then helpful to help design what you need.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,137
Rewards Points: 2,916
Default

installing a spiral staircase


You need a wider opening----We have a some stair case guys here---one will be along in a minute--

Mean while,I'll google up something for you.--Mike-----
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
BigJim (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,734
Rewards Points: 2,464
Default

installing a spiral staircase


You need a minimum clearance of 26" between the inside of the rail and the pole. Depending on the stairs you would need at least a 60" x 60" rough opening.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
BigJim (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,137
Rewards Points: 2,916
Default

installing a spiral staircase


Metal Spiral Staircases and Custom Design Staircases by The Iron Shop

I tried to copy the page for you---but it did not work---this company has all of the opening sizes for your typical spiral stairs.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,979
Rewards Points: 2,138
Default

installing a spiral staircase


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
You need a minimum clearance of 26" between the inside of the rail and the pole. Depending on the stairs you would need at least a 60" x 60" rough opening.
That is correct. We have a spiral staircase in our log home (bought a kit and installed it ourselves). Because of the wedge shape of the steps, it's essentially impossible to meet code with a staircase that isn't at least 5 ft in diameter.

You should also know that in some places, a spiral staircase cannot be the primary means of access to a space.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
BigJim (02-03-2013), oh'mike (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,137
Rewards Points: 2,916
Default

installing a spiral staircase


Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
T

You should also know that in some places, a spiral staircase cannot be the primary means of access to a space.

I was wondering about that-----

How would you ever get furniture up one of those?
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: atl & hilton head
Posts: 3,402
Rewards Points: 2,386
Default

installing a spiral staircase


same way you build a boat in your bsmt that's too large for the door 1 board at a time
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,581
Rewards Points: 2,492
Default

installing a spiral staircase


Use the link by Oh'Mike....we actually have one of those spiral stair cases in the garage....



Easy to install....

A few points.....

As noted above, your opening is not large enough....I got by with a 5'x5' opening (tread width 24")....since it's just a garage....it's fine....if it's a living area, the width has to be more. I think your going to need at least a 5.5 x 5.5 if not larger opening.

Don't get carried away with trying to save money on using less treads....I went with an 8" rise....max should be about 7.5".

Overall, we love the stairs.....the only downside...I wish I had gone a fraction larger.....
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,979
Rewards Points: 2,138
Default

installing a spiral staircase


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I was wondering about that-----

How would you ever get furniture up one of those?
I guess all your furniture would have to be Ikea - you could assemble it after it's upstairs.

In our log house, the stairs go to the loft area. The entire loft is open to the floor below (with railings, of course). We muscled most of the furniture up there before I installed the railings. The biggest PITA was the Tempurpedic mattress.

Our staircase looks just like the one in ddawg16's picture. It's even the same color.

I can understand why spirals are not legal for primary access in some locations. The take some getting used to, and are tough to negotiate in a hurry.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 02-03-2013 at 09:59 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,753
Rewards Points: 2,630
Blog Entries: 1
Default

installing a spiral staircase


Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I guess all your furniture would have to be Ikea - you could assemble it after it's upstairs.

In our log house, the stairs go to the loft area. The entire loft is open to the floor below (with railings, of course). We muscled most of the furniture up there before I installed the railings. The biggest PITA was the Tempurpedic mattress.

Our staircase looks just like the one in ddawg16's picture. It's even the same color.

I can understand why spirals are not legal for primary access in some locations. The take some getting used to, and are tough to negotiate in a hurry.
You should install an "I" hook in the ridge board right at the edge of your loft. Then make a pully system with a hook that would hook in the I bolt, when you aren't using it you could store it. If you really want to get creative buy one of the small electric hoists and hang it there when needed.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,581
Rewards Points: 2,492
Default

installing a spiral staircase


It's actually pretty easy to get stuff up....long items....you just stick it up the opening....other items....I can stand about 2 steps up and just push them onto the landing....
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 245
Rewards Points: 218
Default

installing a spiral staircase


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Use the link by Oh'Mike....we actually have one of those spiral stair cases in the garage....



Easy to install....

A few points.....

As noted above, your opening is not large enough....I got by with a 5'x5' opening (tread width 24")....since it's just a garage....it's fine....if it's a living area, the width has to be more. I think your going to need at least a 5.5 x 5.5 if not larger opening.

Don't get carried away with trying to save money on using less treads....I went with an 8" rise....max should be about 7.5".

Overall, we love the stairs.....the only downside...I wish I had gone a fraction larger.....
Hey Dawg

What staircase diameter is that? I'm a bit confused on staircase diameters. I'm putting one in the garage as well and have the option for the 3'6" stair case diameter. I'm confused if that means the measurement is taken from the handrail to the center of the pole? Or the total width. Surely it can't be the total width.

thanks
Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,753
Rewards Points: 2,630
Blog Entries: 1
Default

installing a spiral staircase


That is a really narrow stairs, the diameter of the stairs is outside to out side. If that was from rail to center line that would be a pretty big stairs for a spiral. With a 3' 6" diameter the treads will be only 18 inches long.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 245
Rewards Points: 218
Default

installing a spiral staircase


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
That is a really narrow stairs, the diameter of the stairs is outside to out side. If that was from rail to center line that would be a pretty big stairs for a spiral. With a 3' 6" diameter the treads will be only 18 inches long.
How are you calculating the tread width?

Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing new doors, floors, and trim. toobhed Windows and Doors 5 03-16-2012 03:21 PM
Framing for drywall under Spiral staircase clemon03 Drywall & Plaster 6 07-17-2009 04:49 PM
Spiral staircase possible with 20" x 21" opening? t_bunson Building & Construction 12 09-09-2008 07:18 PM
Installing new wall receptacle... jaysen Electrical 18 06-10-2008 09:26 PM
Spiral staircase questions NateHanson Building & Construction 3 01-20-2008 09:49 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.