DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   installing a spiral staircase (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/installing-spiral-staircase-170852/)

curnscorner 02-02-2013 06:25 PM

installing a spiral staircase
 
I have a 34" x 74 long opening in floor. It is 94 in from top of floor below to next level where this hole is. can I install a spiral staircase in this opening and if so what size diameter do I start with

joecaption 02-02-2013 06:52 PM

May be better of Googling Spiral stairs.
Almost any of the companys that sell them will be more then helpful to help design what you need.

oh'mike 02-02-2013 06:53 PM

You need a wider opening----We have a some stair case guys here---one will be along in a minute--

Mean while,I'll google up something for you.--Mike-----

kwikfishron 02-02-2013 06:55 PM

You need a minimum clearance of 26" between the inside of the rail and the pole. Depending on the stairs you would need at least a 60" x 60" rough opening.

oh'mike 02-02-2013 06:56 PM

Metal Spiral Staircases and Custom Design Staircases by The Iron Shop

I tried to copy the page for you---but it did not work---this company has all of the opening sizes for your typical spiral stairs.

md2lgyk 02-03-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikfishron (Post 1108125)
You need a minimum clearance of 26" between the inside of the rail and the pole. Depending on the stairs you would need at least a 60" x 60" rough opening.

That is correct. We have a spiral staircase in our log home (bought a kit and installed it ourselves). Because of the wedge shape of the steps, it's essentially impossible to meet code with a staircase that isn't at least 5 ft in diameter.

You should also know that in some places, a spiral staircase cannot be the primary means of access to a space.

oh'mike 02-03-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk (Post 1108393)
T

You should also know that in some places, a spiral staircase cannot be the primary means of access to a space.


I was wondering about that-----

How would you ever get furniture up one of those?:(

stadry 02-03-2013 08:51 AM

same way you build a boat in your bsmt that's too large for the door :whistling2: 1 board at a time :laughing:

ddawg16 02-03-2013 09:42 AM

Use the link by Oh'Mike....we actually have one of those spiral stair cases in the garage....

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...d/DSCN7363.jpg

Easy to install....

A few points.....

As noted above, your opening is not large enough....I got by with a 5'x5' opening (tread width 24")....since it's just a garage....it's fine....if it's a living area, the width has to be more. I think your going to need at least a 5.5 x 5.5 if not larger opening.

Don't get carried away with trying to save money on using less treads....I went with an 8" rise....max should be about 7.5".

Overall, we love the stairs.....the only downside...I wish I had gone a fraction larger.....

md2lgyk 02-03-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 1108405)
I was wondering about that-----

How would you ever get furniture up one of those?:(

I guess all your furniture would have to be Ikea - you could assemble it after it's upstairs.

In our log house, the stairs go to the loft area. The entire loft is open to the floor below (with railings, of course). We muscled most of the furniture up there before I installed the railings. The biggest PITA was the Tempurpedic mattress.

Our staircase looks just like the one in ddawg16's picture. It's even the same color.

I can understand why spirals are not legal for primary access in some locations. The take some getting used to, and are tough to negotiate in a hurry.

BigJim 02-03-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk (Post 1108489)
I guess all your furniture would have to be Ikea - you could assemble it after it's upstairs.

In our log house, the stairs go to the loft area. The entire loft is open to the floor below (with railings, of course). We muscled most of the furniture up there before I installed the railings. The biggest PITA was the Tempurpedic mattress.

Our staircase looks just like the one in ddawg16's picture. It's even the same color.

I can understand why spirals are not legal for primary access in some locations. The take some getting used to, and are tough to negotiate in a hurry.

You should install an "I" hook in the ridge board right at the edge of your loft. Then make a pully system with a hook that would hook in the I bolt, when you aren't using it you could store it. If you really want to get creative buy one of the small electric hoists and hang it there when needed.:)

ddawg16 02-03-2013 11:23 AM

It's actually pretty easy to get stuff up....long items....you just stick it up the opening....other items....I can stand about 2 steps up and just push them onto the landing....

Daugela 11-30-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1108475)
Use the link by Oh'Mike....we actually have one of those spiral stair cases in the garage....

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...d/DSCN7363.jpg

Easy to install....

A few points.....

As noted above, your opening is not large enough....I got by with a 5'x5' opening (tread width 24")....since it's just a garage....it's fine....if it's a living area, the width has to be more. I think your going to need at least a 5.5 x 5.5 if not larger opening.

Don't get carried away with trying to save money on using less treads....I went with an 8" rise....max should be about 7.5".

Overall, we love the stairs.....the only downside...I wish I had gone a fraction larger.....

Hey Dawg

What staircase diameter is that? I'm a bit confused on staircase diameters. I'm putting one in the garage as well and have the option for the 3'6" stair case diameter. I'm confused if that means the measurement is taken from the handrail to the center of the pole? Or the total width. Surely it can't be the total width.

thanks

BigJim 11-30-2013 10:23 PM

That is a really narrow stairs, the diameter of the stairs is outside to out side. If that was from rail to center line that would be a pretty big stairs for a spiral. With a 3' 6" diameter the treads will be only 18 inches long.

Daugela 11-30-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJim (Post 1273329)
That is a really narrow stairs, the diameter of the stairs is outside to out side. If that was from rail to center line that would be a pretty big stairs for a spiral. With a 3' 6" diameter the treads will be only 18 inches long.

How are you calculating the tread width?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.