Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #1

Share |

Installing some baseboard across 2 different floor types?

I joined up here to get some advice on putting in some baseboard in an odd spot.

At the moment I live in an old apartment, and the walls are made out of a layer of drywall and/or cement board , and what appears to be a thick layer of some form of cement type plaster that doesn't take to well to nails/screws/drilling/etc.

The wall that I want to put the baseboard on goes around a corner, but there is carpet that ends where the wall goes around the corner.

If I put baseboard on this wall, and then want to extend that same baseboard around the corner, then the piece around the corner will sit nearly 1/2" lower than the previous piece due to the floor being tile instead of carpet.

I would really like to avoid cutting a 1/2" strip from the bottom of an entire length, so is there some way to make a nice looking termination on the baseboard to stop where the wall ends, that will allow me to put some different kind of trim on the other side of the corner?

Here is a picture of the spot I want to install the baseboard. The carpet will be replaced a little later on when we can afford it.

BigJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #2

After you remove the base molding, just install the baseboard heat. You could raise the low section where the vinyl is a 1/4" with no real issue. You will use an outside corner connector to unitize the installation. If you need to cut 1/4" off the bottom of the carpet side, the cut will be buried in the carpet.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #3

there is no baseboard heat there, and I would prefer not to have the baseboard sitting 1/4" off the floor.

I guess it looks like I'm going to have to cut 1/4" off the bottom of the piece going on the carpet.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #4

Big John,
That's the way to do it. Rip the piece of base on a table saw. If you don't have a table saw, find a local friend who does.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
there is no baseboard heat there, and I would prefer not to have the baseboard sitting 1/4" off the floor.

I guess it looks like I'm going to have to cut 1/4" off the bottom of the piece going on the carpet.
I was referring to the wood base molding that should be removed before you install the heating unit. To get them even, you'll need to remove 1/2". If the carpet pile is too high it will interfere with the convection of the unit. There needs to be space so the cold air can get pulled in.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #6

the wood base molding is actually some kind of plastic or rubber from the 60s when this place was built, and I don't know why you keep bringing up heat because there is no heater, there, there will never be a heater there. Our heat is provided by hot water in radiators.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #7

Ok, you can do one of two things here. 1) You can cut a strip of carpet out and the base board would sit on the floor and match the other side. 2) Raise the other base board by and put a temporary round to cover your gap until you get a carpet then remove the round and you will get the same effect as on the other side. But you should have the same type of base board...

Note, you will have to extend your base boards out to make an outside corner.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
Ok, you can do one of two things here. 1) You can cut a strip of carpet out and the base board would sit on the floor and match the other side. 2) Raise the other base board by and put a temporary round to cover your gap until you get a carpet then remove the round and you will get the same effect as on the other side. But you should have the same type of base board...

Note, you will have to extend your base boards out to make an outside corner.
The tiled floor won't get carpet, so I think in the end I'm going to just rip a 1/4" section from the bottom of the piece going on the carpet. I wanted to avoid it because I thought there might be some way to do this that I was unaware of but it seems cutting it is the best way.

I know it needs to be extended out for the outside corner, but again was wondering if there was some way to terminate it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #9

Not unless you use trim on both sides of the wall and then butt the baseboard to it.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #10

If you know you are going to replace that carpet then Id do like earlier suggested and cut back some carpet and bring the trim down to the subfloor, unless your carpet tack strips are right up against the wall. If you can drop the trim to the floor then you wont have to make the rip cut and you wont have the chance of pulling the trim when the carpet gets replaced.

creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote