Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #1

Share |

Installing a slab exterior door

I am installing a slab exterior door for the first time. Had to go with a slab because i have plaster walls with metal frame.
Figured it would be simple. I ordered it with the hinges already cut out along with the handle and deadbolt cut out.
I attached the hinged slide the door on.
The problem is the door wont close the outside bottom corner has a gap and so the top corner therefore wont allow me to close the door.
So i would assume this means the metal frame isnt square.
The door is one of the cheap wood door sandwiched by two pieces of metal.
I may end up having to have someone come out but i thought maybe i could problem solve this myself first if i could.
Any tips on how i can accomplish this?
kgressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #2

bump.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #3

The normal way of checking door jambs is with a sting line fasten the end to the bottom of one of the door jambs and run it to the top of the opposite jamb across the head and then down to the bottom of the other jamb.
So what you now have made is a X with the string line,the stings should just sit upon each other.
When there is a gap between the lines or one pushes on the other then the jambs are not parallel with each other and by moving the line in and out you can see where the door jamb must be moved to bring it back to true.
Check the door by putting a sting line or straight edge across opposite corners there should be no gap in the middle turn the door over and check again it could be the door.Hope this was of some help. Billy
billy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #4

you could maybe try to add thin strips of cardboard or plastic under the hinges to help square the door in the frame if its not too far out
trial and error may help good luck
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. After a few minutes i measured everything and the hinges that HD cut for me were slightly off. I had to recut my bottom hinges because it was off about 1/4 inch and the center was just maybe off 1/8 of an inch. Once i cut the extra material off it went pretty easy.