Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #1

Share |

Installing siding and city power junction/connector

Hey all,

I'm planning on covering a portion of my brickwork with vinyl siding on my 1920s 2 1/2 story home. The decision to side is two-fold, we'll be installing 1" or 2" of rigid insulation underneath the siding, as part of a recommendation in our recent (Toronto) eco-audit. As well, the brick is spalling and covering it will take care of more water getting into the brickwork.

Anyway, the exterior wall to be sided is also home to an insulator / connection point for the electricity hookup. Since we'll be building out the wall 2"-4" with siding/furring strips/insulation taken into account, what's the best way to deal with the electrical connection?

Do I call the city to cut my power, remove it and reinstall it over the siding, backed on a standoff of some kind (2x4s?) Or should I leave a hole in my siding/insulation around the connection point, frame it with j-channel and caulk around the inner edges?

rugby style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Mod

Anywhere I’ve ever lived the power company is responsible for the line running from the pole until it reaches the mast.

You should call your power company tell them your plans and go from there.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-09-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: To the mast not meter
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

anywhere I have dealt with the POCO (about a dozen different POCO's), the customer is responsible for the portion of the service feeder from the meter to the point it is attached to the building near the point of attachment of the POCO feeders.

In other words, the customer takes care of the cable from the meter up the wall to the tie off the POCO attaches to. Once you get it to that point, the POCO will attach to that.

What that means in the OP's situation is: OP is responsible for detaching and reattaching the cable from the meter to the point of attachment above.

In some areas, the POCO does no cost disconnects and reconnects. Some places they charge for it. Call your POCO and ask them how they deal with it and how to schedule the disconnect and reconnect.

You might have to get the reinstallation inspected. You can ask your POCO about that. Unless they give you a yes, in no uncertain terms, contact your electrical department to inquire. Nothing worse than getting the work done, calling for a reconnect, having them show up and say "where's the green tag? Can't reconnect without a green tag"

makes for a long nite (or if you are doing this on a friday, a long weekend) without power.

lots of prep needs to be taken into consideration before starting the work.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #4

id call the power company anyway they may have a service for that,or be able to tell you the best solution for your problem,its a detail that needs to be done right
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #5

Thanks all, I've gotten in touch with Toronto Hydro, waiting on a callback.
rugby style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #6

I just updated my eletric service this past week and had a similar situation with new siding, a new meter box,new service wire, and replacing the insulating anchor.

I had the new siding and insulation anchor installed before anything was done, this way switching over was as easy as possible on the electrician and the POCO serviceman.

I think the best method if this is possible for you is to install your siding as close as you can up to your electric service, mount a new anchor/connector/mast (whatever you have) if you can beforehand and then have your power company come and switch it . This way there is not a long interuption of service and it involves only 1 visit.

My experience last week was that the POCO was late by several hours so scheduling around them can be difficult. But once he showed he was there less than an hour and my new service was switched and running in no time.

creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote