Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #1

Share |

Installing a roof in cold weather

I do my construction after my 9 to 5 and on weekends. I need to put the roof on a new 9 x 20 shed. No time tonight, then it will rain on Thursday and Friday. For the weekend the highs will be around 50 and the overnight low in the low 30's.

Plan A is to bring the roofing shingles inside the main house so they won't be so cold when I try to work with them. Am I wasting my time doing this? When I hit the job site early each morning the temperature will be near the freezing mark!

Anything special I should know about putting on a roof in cold weather?

papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

If you are using ice and water shield, it is not going to bond to the roof at temperatures much below 50 degrees F, even in the sun. I have had good luck getting it to stick by running over it with a hair dryer, even when it is very cold.

As for the shingles, they are going to get brittle at cold temperature, I would leave them inside to stay warm if possible, else you can chip and crack them from handling and nailing. I assume you are using asphalt shingles.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Trailer Park Boy

We roof in the winter all the time, no problem. Trimming them is the only hard part, keep a sharp blade.

Bringing them inside will not be of much use to you unless you plan on going down to the house every time you want a shingle.

Adjust your gun depth so you don't blow through the shingles and carry a hammer to set any that stay proud.
shanekw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #4

Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely move the shingles from the back of the truck into our living room tonight. My better half will love having them inside the house for the next couple days ! ! !

We are using GAF-ELK 30-Year Shingles from Home Depot. They are Asphalt with Dura Grip adhesive.

You say below 50 they won't bond. Does it hurt anything to install them at lower temperatures? Will they eventually bond when the temps rise? The temp are predicted as:

51 - 30 Saturday
50 - 33 Sunday
54 - 37 Monday
58 - 40 Tuesday
65 - 41 Wednesday

Then showers and 60 - 43 for the next couple days

Right now I have it covered in a blue tarp. I want to get the permanent roof on ASAP. It's November in Maryland and I'm not sure if I will get another good weekend anytime soon!

Shane,

I have a package of new blades ready to change out often!

I plan to get a package, 33 sq ft, at a time while installing them. I have a nailer for the framing, but not for roofing nails ! This will be a by hand job!

Last edited by papageek; 11-03-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #5

I agree with Shane. Once they hit the cold air they won't hold much of that heat. As long as you a careful you should be able to roof it no problem. Good luck!
HOHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Trailer Park Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by papageek View Post
Does it hurt anything to install them at lower temperatures? Will they eventually bond when the temps rise? The temp are predicted as:

51 - 30 Saturday
50 - 33 Sunday
54 - 37 Monday
58 - 40 Tuesday
65 - 41 Wednesday

Then showers and 60 - 43 for the next couple days

Will not hurt a thing.

They will bond when the temps rise.
shanekw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #7

Looks like I have plans for the weekend!