Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

Share |

installing a replacement doorknob

I just got a new Schlage (oil rubbed bronze) closet doorknob to replace an old brass one (circa 1985).

There is no model number on the package, but the alleged instruction sheet says its for F-Series. The instructions are horrible. some tiny pictures and a few words in multiple languages. THe pictures don't match anything I've got. I think its geared to new doorknob rather than replacement. Its your typical one-size-fits-none instructions. arggggggggggghhhhhhh

My installation/replacement is probably very very simple, but I have no clue. Something about doorknob installations has always seemed very initimidating to me.

Can anyone talk me through it in simple language? It probably needs to start with how to remove the old doorknob.

If this goes well, I want to do several more in the house.

gardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #2

Send a picture of existing knob on the door (both sides). This will likely help on how to remove.
Usually there are only two screws on the bezel (ring around door knob shaft) that need to come out to remove door knobs and two on the button thing (latch) on the side of the door. Reverse process with the new one.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #3

there are no exposed screws on either side. I'll try to get a picture up.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #4

Look for a small indentation or slot on the bezel; sometimes there is one you can place a thin screwdriver tip in and pop it off (unless it unscrews somehow; that is why pictures will help).
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #5

Okay, I got the cover plate loosened on both sides (which are identical). I can peek in and see screws but not sure how to access them.

The coverplates are absolutely solid smooth all around with no openings. (not good photographer close up, but wow they sure look awful zoomed in like this! glad I am getting rid of them!)

Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #6

well, I tried to mangle the coverplate. It was a little thicker gauge than I expected. I got one screw out. Working on the 2nd one which is harder.

I doubt this is the right way, but I can't imagine what the trick is.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #7

wow...seriously? you just unscrew the 2 screws and detach it from the door, then install the new one. whats the issue here??? the only thing you may have trouble with is lining up the new screws in the right spot. i have replaced over 10doorknobs, of different types. you will figure it out.....
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #8

thanks very helpful. did you look at the picture? the 2 screws are buried. Now I see that the latch (?) bevel part doesn't pop out now that I FINALLY got the 2 screws out. It is wedged in there by its frame. Again no screws for that either. And now I see that the new bevel thingie is a different shape than the old one. That means chiseling for the new one. And no template for that. And I have no chisels. Now I'm without a functional doorknob til I get this all done. Another day. Another project started and not finished. G'nite.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

like i said...you will figure it out. i have ran into the same problems as you.
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #10

Like I said (implied), not helpful. I thought DIY forums were for sharing ideas of how to do something. Is your idea of sharing ' rah rah go girl ' ?

If anyone has any real ideas how to get this piece out, please let me know. Brute force is not working. Am I dealing with one piece or two pieces?

I have since come to find out that to remove the doorknob itself, there was a "magic" tiny slot on the doorknob itself that allegedly releases it from the innerds, allowing the released coverplate to be removed.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #11

Lack of perseverance is not holding you back. The latch mechanism still in the door will possibly work with the new knob and if it does, wouldn't need to
be replaced unless its not working smoothly. If you still want or need to replace the latch part it is just friction fit into the hole through the edge of the
door.Pry it out from the edge of the knob hole.Assuming the new latch has a rectangular plate for the edge of the door,push it into the hole, trace it with
a razor knife,remove the latch and then chisel out the area for the new latch.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #12

excellent idea!!! I've loosened it up by a lot twisting and turning. I'll have to see if I can get it back the way it was and try that out!

I also happened to notice in the packaging of the new lock stuff, that they also include this same type of latch cover also as an alternative. The included instructions had nothing about this latch cover other than a picture of it. BUt the Schlage website instructions provide a little more info about installing it. I was hoping that that might lend a clue about removing it, but it did not. Here is the link to that file fwiw.

http://consumer.schlage.com/Project%...s/P515-302.pdf
Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #13

I've never been a big fan of driving the latch in such as your existing latch. If you want to remove the plate from the new latch the long edge of the plate needs to be on about a 45 degree angle from the flat edge of the beveled part. A little pulling and wiggling should get it off.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #14

Gardengal: Is there something that you need help with at present? I'm a bit unsure as to what your needs are if any.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #15

the current status is to try to get the existing latch repositioned in the existing latch cover to see if I can re-use it for the new doorknob.

If the new and the old are not compatible (or if I can't reposition latch to original spot), I will keep trying to remove the entire assembly. (or call a locksmith )

I did find a chisel and I have a dremel too, so I should be able to create a mortise if I can get to that step.

No more tries for today, off to work now.

Thanks.

Tags
doorknob, installation