Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

installing PVC pilings in water as foundation for a house

I am building a house over the water on an island in Panama. The foundation of the house will be made of pvc pilings filled with concrete sitting on a "T". No machinery is available, so I will need to "jet" the area to install pilings.

Does anyone know how to do this properly?

Also, I know costs will differ here, but does anyone know about how much a ten foot 6 inch diameter concrete filled PVC piling would cost in US?

Mariapanama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2

If no machinery is available, how do you plan to jet the pipes? Normally jetting is accomplished using a pretty large piece of equipment, curiously enough called a pipe jetter. The jetter requires a pump for the water, a variety of hoses, a power plant, several nozzles, and pipe handling equipment (usually a small crane or hoist). Doing this work manually without such a piece of equipment would be pretty complex.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Thank you for your reply...they do have some machinery to jet the pilings, but it isn't very large machines... because it is on an island that is only accessible by boat. I have never seen them actually set the pilings, but I know they do. I still think a lot of manual labor is involved, because I have seen pictures of laborers in the water diving under to do this work.

I have seen existing pilings like this...I am staying in a house built over the water right now. I want to know about this procedure so I can have some sibilance of knowing what is going on when I hire people to do the job. Also, my husband was a carpenter and I was wondering if it is something he would be able to supervise the workers to do.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Mariapanama is offline   Reply With Quote