Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Share |

installing an overhead header

how do i install an overhead header to cover a 12 ft opening in a load bearing wall. i believe that i can attach the header above the rafters using joist hangers and run my studs thru my rafters to support the header. can anyone give me more input on my questions. thanx

jvynl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

well at a 12' span your no longer dealing with a header it now must be a beam for one.. more importantly you need to consult an engineer to spec the correct size beam required for your project.. the load on the beam can vary from region to region so different beam sizes are needed in accordance to that

woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvynl View Post
how do i install an overhead header to cover a 12 ft opening in a load bearing wall. i believe that i can attach the header above the rafters using joist hangers and run my studs thru my rafters to support the header. can anyone give me more input on my questions. thanx
Confusing, rafter are what hold the roof up.
The supports under the beam are called jack studs, and if they ran through the beam how would it hold it up?

You really need someone on site that knows what there looking at to speck a beam.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote