Installing New Window In Basement Wall. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Installing new window in basement wall.

I have to install a window for egress in a bedroom I am building in my basement. The house is a ranch and the ground tappers outside so there would be room for a 4'x2' in one spicific spot about 5' above finished floor. I plan to build a combonation shelf/ladder below the window. The wall is 8" cinder blocks. My question is do I have to install some sort of support like angle iron above the window?

Advertisement

almostdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Yes....

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you sure the window size and height above the floor satisfies code? Around here(LI,NY) you can't have a ladder to use an egress window. Inspector said the ladder could be moved. The window could be no higher than 36" off the finished floor.
You would only need an lintel is there were cinderblocks above the window. In that case I would put one inside and one outside. Otherwise just do a traditional header under the sole plates.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote