Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #1

Share |

Installing a new window

I would like to install a new double window in my wall and I have some questions. First, some information: the room where I want to install the window is 19' long. Presently, there is only a bay window (centered) which I want to remove and replace with a sliding glass door. The bay window is about 7' wide and the door is 6'. I will be using the existing header for the door that was for the bay window. The window I want to add is a double and fits in a rough opening of 5'3". This would leave about 7" on either side of the window and put me about 7" from the corner of the room. Keeping in mind that this is 2 x 4 construction and that this is a 1 story addition to the side of the house with no attic in the shed roof just above the room, will I have structural concerns with the new window (and required header) so close to the corner?

Any advice / thoughts would be welcome.

Tod

gladrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #2

Installing a new window

The door will be no problem. you just cut the sill out to the bottom plate. Don't remove the jamb framing as that is what is holding up the header. Infill the wall on either side as needed and install the door.

For the window: If this is the load bearing wall then you will need to build a temporary wall to hold up the structure while you cut open and remove the wall. Construct the opening framing and then you can remove the temporary support and install the window and finishes.