Installing New Bathroom Window - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Installing New Bathroom Window

I want to install a small bathroom window maybe 12 x 36 or 12 x 48. The problem is I have a tub surround that has only 15" from the top of the surround to the ceiling. I have not opened up the wall yet so I really don't know exactly how much room I have to deal with . The window guys say I need a header? There is no room for a header. I may have enough room to add and additional 2 x 4 as a header but wont know till I get into it. This is a outside load bearing wall and will be a new window installation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1l243

Advertisement

1L243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
G2G

Rewards Points: 10

With the information you have given I would guess you are out of luck, sorry. There is most likely double top plates at the ceiling which now reduces the 15" to 12". If you want a 12" tall window you will need a 14" rough opening, plus an appropriate sized header for the width.

If you want to add some natural light above the tub, you could build some custom windows to fit between the studs. Just make sure to seal and flash it all correctly.

Advertisement

G2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

What G2G wrote....(same)
Old 01-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

You know an interesting thing about this is I had the same window company I talked to yesterday out here about a year ago for an estimate. We decided not to do it. But no mention of header or how they would have done it. I must assume that they were just going to do it without a header. I am glad I got more information before tearing into it like I normally do...

Thanks
1L243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

We put a skylight over our tub/shower. It provides the needed light and maintains privacy.
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote