Installing Manufactured Stone Veneer On Double Stack Bay Windows -- Help Needed - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing Manufactured Stone Veneer on Double Stack Bay Windows -- Help Needed

Hey Everyone,

Been lurking and reading on this forum for a while, and have gotten some great ideas/answers from previous posters. This is my first post, and i've decided to DIY about 100 sq/ft of manufactured stone veneer on the front of my house. I am in Canada, and will be using a product called Canyon Stone (http://www.canyonstonecanada.com/Pro...s/CanyonLedge#). I have decided on the 'mountain' look and color.

I have roughly estimated the cost on materials, and i'm looking at about $1000+ ballpark for everything, I had called a few contractors to give me a quote and they all want anywhere from $1500 to $2000 in labour alone. So DIY.. Here I come

There is actually a lot of info online and even from the manufacturer on how to do this.. so why not?

Here is a picture on the toughest part of my project. I will be getting new windows installed (brick to brick) within the next few weeks, and want to do the stone after, I am going to assume that the sheathing behind the siding is also rotten, so i've planned on re-insulating and putting new 3/4" sheathing behind. I will also be doing a section on top of my garage, which is also that horrible looking siding, but because my garage is not insulated, and detached from the foundation of my house, its a little bit more forgiving.
Here is a picture of my double stack bays.

I am already going to get the window installer to put the new bays out about an inch more than they already are.

Now, here are some of the questions i have.

-- What is the best type of paper for me to use under the scratch coat? (Yes, i'm doing 2 layers and wire lath)

--What type of cover/flashing should I use directly under the windows so I don't get any water behind the stone face? Should I have a larger flashing and tuck the stone underneath?

-- Should I have some type of weeping system on the bottom where my now siding meets the front landing?

-- Should I be using S type portland in the scratch coat as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tony

Advertisement

jimgiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #2

anyone? ttt

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Have u done the work yet? I've got some pointers for you but if it's already been done there's no sense to ramble on
heinlein0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

http://www.canyonstonecanada.com/Installation/Manuals#
Read all the instructions carefully.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #5

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replys. I have the new windows in, and have put up the stone so far over my garage.

Here's what i did, while the windows were out, I reinsulated with 1" silverboard over the existing black particle board type insulation they used 30 years ago, then brand new 1/2" sheathing, tyvek, 2 layers of #30 roofing paper, 2.00 lb diamond mesh (all I could find), and applied my scratch. here is a picture now.. The garage portion is done except for adding my house number sign and the grouting. The bays are now scratched, and just waiting for me to find time to apply the stones :p

As for the grouting, and install of the stone on the bays, I could use some pointers. I took a picture of how they did a bay window in the showroom, but with different stone, should I overlap, or keep the lines, and then grout down the middle of the break in the bays?

I have been using quikrete polymer modified stone veneer cement for the scratch and brick installation, do you think I should darken it up somehow for the grout? My grout will be the same colour as the scratch between the bays, and even if i could darken the grout, how would I go about doing that? That stuff is quite expensive, and i've already been thru 6 bags of it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tony

Last edited by jimgiggles; 08-09-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Nice job so far. I would over lap the corners of the bay window, like they did in the pic you included. I just did 600 sq ft of this stuff on my house. First time I've done anything like this and I love the outcome. I used a Type S mortar for the scratch coat and for the stobe adhesion. I'm assuming you are using a pre mix mortar. Am I right? Are you adding sand to the mortar or is it already included? I was mixing 2 parts sand to 1 part of the type s masonry cement and it wasn't that expensive. Maybe $12 a bag.

You can use the same mortar for the grout, mix it the same. The type s mortar I used was pre tinted. You can look for some colored mortar like that or you or you can add a dye. I've been told that dyes fade faster and unless you mix it exactly the same every time you could end up with variations of tint.

Do you have anything under the window to divert the water away from the stone? Like a stone sill?

Here's a few pics of what I did
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Manufactured Stone Veneer on Double Stack Bay Windows  -- Help Needed-image-3027042535.jpg   Installing Manufactured Stone Veneer on Double Stack Bay Windows  -- Help Needed-image-574705283.jpg   Installing Manufactured Stone Veneer on Double Stack Bay Windows  -- Help Needed-image-4194917703.jpg  
heinlein0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinlein0311 View Post
Nice job so far. I would over lap the corners of the bay window, like they did in the pic you included. I just did 600 sq ft of this stuff on my house. First time I've done anything like this and I love the outcome. I used a Type S mortar for the scratch coat and for the stobe adhesion. I'm assuming you are using a pre mix mortar. Am I right? Are you adding sand to the mortar or is it already included? I was mixing 2 parts sand to 1 part of the type s masonry cement and it wasn't that expensive. Maybe $12 a bag.

You can use the same mortar for the grout, mix it the same. The type s mortar I used was pre tinted. You can look for some colored mortar like that or you or you can add a dye. I've been told that dyes fade faster and unless you mix it exactly the same every time you could end up with variations of tint.

Do you have anything under the window to divert the water away from the stone? Like a stone sill?

Here's a few pics of what I did
Yes, the mortar is pre-mix from quikrete.. Its polymer modified, and suggested by the Canyon Stone Dealer I purchased the materials from here in Toronto. http://www.quikrete.com/productlines...onePolyPro.asp
this is a youtube video of them using the same mortar .

AND.. wow.. 600 sq. ft. You're a brave man , but it does look great.

Funny thing, I was reading thru the install instructions I printed up a long time ago last night, and noticed that they suggest a different mix of mortar (Type N) instead of type S, but looking thru the install docs online they are showing all pre-mix type s. I guess canyon stone is stilling learning too. lol

And.. as for the windows.. they are all brand new, and I worked with the installers to build out the windows perfect for install, there is drip caps, and a few edges on the bottom of the sill, so technically, water shouldn't be able to get in.. Here is a pic showing it a little closer. The silverboard on the top stack is showing what is underneath the sheathing on the bottom already.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #8

For anyone who has been following the thread, here is a completed pic. Thanks for all the tips!

Tony

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to jimgiggles For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (08-27-2012)