Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

Installing Ipe decking

I plan to install some Ipe decking in a few months and in doing some research I encountered this diagram for dealing with butt joints. They sister a 2x4 block to the joist so the screws can kept 1'' from the ends of the boards. Is this a common method? I was just planning to angle the screws into the joist where two boards come together.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Ipe decking-ipe-butt-joints.jpg  

ovahimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Mod

Installing Ipe decking

I’ve put down lots of Ipe (Iron wood) cool stuff, expensive too. The detail you show makes on sense to me, if you have to use screws you must pre-drill and countersink. There is no just running a screw in that stuff. The cool way is to use the plastic biscuits and glue so there are no exposed fasteners, or screw, countersink, and plug. A lot of work but worth it, if your going to spend the money on the good stuff why not do it right. Will you be working with ” or 5/4?

"The Purple Trumpet Tree"

Last edited by kwikfishron; 03-25-2010 at 05:32 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #3

Installing Ipe decking

Thanks for the response. I'm using 3/4" x 6 and this will be my first attempt at installing the stuff. All mistakes will show now, so I wanted to shorten the learning curve. I'll probably use the 2x4 blocks as shown. How far off the edge do you place the screws? I'll be using #8 x 2 1/2 trim head screws.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Mod

Installing Ipe decking

Where did you get that picture from? I’d like to see the source and what their reasoning is. If your worried about the ends splitting out, don’t. You have to “pre drill” for every screw. Find the perfect sized bit so the screw will go though the Ipe with little resistance but not to big so the head won’t grab. Drill the Ipe only and not into the joist. You will need a handful of bits because you'll break a few and a brand new blades to cut the stuff. I’ve done at least 10,000 lf. of Ipe and there "are" issues working with it but I never had problems with the butt joints splitting. You angle the screws slightly to grab the joist at the butt, but I don’t see any reason for all of the extra wood.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 03-26-2010 at 10:53 AM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #5

Installing Ipe decking

This is where I found that diagram.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...547244843.html

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. I didn't think most guys added extra boards to hold down butt joints.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
dIYHell

Installing Ipe decking

I finished an IPE deck just last year on my own. I just linded up my but joints down the middle of the joist and predrilled and screwed like KwickFishron did. I liked the look of the stainless steel screws with the IPE however one issue I had was getting the perfect counter sink so the heads where just below the deck. I would first predrill then countersink with a dimpler (http://www.splitstop.com/products/drivebits.ASP) and used splitstop stainless steel screws. You definately need to be careful and not overdrive since they are very brittle.

I researched alot of the different attachment systems but they added a lot of extra cost as well as installation time. Everyone I spoke to told me face screwing ipe was the best system to hold them in place. I also like the fact if I have to replace a board it would be as simple as removing screws and replacing the individual board.

Make sure you seal all the cut ends with a wax sealer like anchor seal. You will most likely have to bend the boards to get them in place which is very difficult with IPE since I was doing the job alone I found the "Board Boss" almost as important as my drill (http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/JCC-...ade-Deck-Clamp) .
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #7

Installing Ipe decking

agree with the plastic biscuits: Eb-Ty is the way to go http://www.ebty.com/index.php

You can purchase Ipe with a groove cut along the lengths of the boards to speed up the process. Much cleaner look than fasteners in the face of the board.

GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote