Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #1

Share |

Installing header

I have a single story bungalow. I want to remove the wall between the kitchen and living room. The wall is in the center of the house and is load bearing. The opening will be about 15 ft the ceiling joist are 16 in on center. My wife wants the ceiling flush all the way across. Can I install the 2 x 10 by cutting the joist and resting the beam on the bearing wall at each end then installingjoist hangers on each joist? Thanks charlie

Chaz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #2

Installing header

You will need proper sized footings, posts, floor blocking, and trimmer (jack) studs, plus possibly metal strapping (top plates to beam), and a permit as this is a structural change. The paper trail is nice for your H.O. Insurance carrier and when you sell.

Gary

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Installing header

The installation you are looking to do is called a flush beam. It certainly can be done, it is harder than a drop down beam because, as you correctly noted, you have to cut all the joists and attach them to the beam using joist hangers. Otherwise, sizing the beam is the same as for a drop down beam installation. There are numerous threads on this forum related to drop down beam installation, check them out, and there is at least one thread on flush beam installation.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote