Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing Hardiplank in Texas

I currently have "masonite" siding that is rotted in many places. I repaired over the years but want to replace with HardiPlank.

My question: The masonite siding was installed directly onto the 2x4's without any barrier or insulation material. I've seen the benefit of adding felt/siding paper, etc. and agree that should be done. However, becasue it hadn't been done originally, was there a reason or just taking the cheap way out.

Also, is there additional benefit for installing foam board also for additional insulation? Again, same question regarding it not being done originally.

Will installing the foam board cause me problems with the additional 1/2 inch of material? I can't see that it would, but....?

Thank you very much!

scott91651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Installing Hardiplank in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott91651 View Post
I currently have "masonite" siding that is rotted in many places. I repaired over the years but want to replace with HardiPlank.

My question: The masonite siding was installed directly onto the 2x4's without any barrier or insulation material. I've seen the benefit of adding felt/siding paper, etc. and agree that should be done. However, becasue it hadn't been done originally, was there a reason or just taking the cheap way out.

Also, is there additional benefit for installing foam board also for additional insulation? Again, same question regarding it not being done originally.

Will installing the foam board cause me problems with the additional 1/2 inch of material? I can't see that it would, but....?

Thank you very much!
I think the reason is somebody was just saving money.
There is a benefit to using rigid insulation and you may qualify for the tax credit if you do. Hardie has a tech bulletin out on the subject.
If you install the foam you should plan ahead on how you are going to trim the windows, this is the biggest problem spot when you make the wall thicker.
God luck

rock16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rock16 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-20-2010)