Installing Gazebo Onto A Deck... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing gazebo onto a deck...

If I were to buy a pre-built free standing wooden gazebo, can I set it onto my existing deck without needing a building permit? Also, would it need to be anchored to the deck?

Advertisement

Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

U probably need a permit to put in a new toilet n your township. Refer to your townships website.

Advertisement

dvatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
just a tool guy

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvatt View Post
U probably need a permit to put in a new toilet n your township. Refer to your townships website.
Yeah...there gonna get their pound of flesh...

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logie View Post
If I were to buy a pre-built free standing wooden gazebo, can I set it onto my existing deck without needing a building permit? Also, would it need to be anchored to the deck?
When the deck was built, there was no support consideration of the added weight of the gazebo. Was there?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #5

The deck was built 20 years ago and at that time, there was no thought of putting a gazebo on it. But it's a really solid deck. How does one know if it's solid enough to handle the added weight of a gazebo?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logie View Post
The deck was built 20 years ago and at that time, there was no thought of putting a gazebo on it. But it's a really solid deck. How does one know if it's solid enough to handle the added weight of a gazebo?
Find out where the supports are in relation to the gazebo location. There needs to be support under that area. The decking might need to be removed to increase the load bearing capacity.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

I will be replacing the deck boards in the near future. The original boards are coming off and composite is being put down. It sounds to me like I need to get a building permit and have an inspector come out and tell me what to do. Is that how it works?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

It would be awe inspiring if you had an inspector who would come out to your house and tell you what to do. Usually you have to go see them and tell them what you want to do, then they tell you if it is OK.

As for whether you can put a gazebo on top of the deck, you should prepare a carefully drawn, scaled plan of what you want to do, including the size and spacing of the supports, beams, joists, and deck material. Take that to the inspector, and if they are in a good mood, they will look at it, and possibly tell you if you are good to go. If they are in a bad mood, they might tell you to hire an engineer. But really, you need to start with a plan, and talk to the inspector.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #9

Thanks for the input. As you can surely tell, I've never done this before. I'll work on the creation of plans and go to the permits office and see what they say. Fortunately, this is a small town and I've downed a few beers with one of the inspectors in years past. It's not that we're best buds, but we do know one another, so I don't expect to have to contend with an attitude. . Thanks again for the advice.

Advertisement