Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #1

Share |

Installing Furring Strip - basement ceiling

I have intsall at least a 1" furring strip on my basement ceiling to hid some pipes. I am going to use flat 2x4s as i have a bunch left over.

My question is do i install the stripps running with the exisiting floor joists or do run them perpendicular to the joists? If i have to do them perpendicular then i am guessing they should be every 2ft on center.

Thanks in advnace.

Nick

nsanto17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #2

If you are doing 2 X 4s they are structural enough to span the joists so you can do it either way, where if you were just installing a 1 X 2 they would have to be constantly supported and so run with the joists. If you run them perpendicular you will probably want to run them 16" o.c. assuming you are installing 1/2" gypsum board. If you install the gypsum on framing that is 24" o.c. you can have some future sagging of the gypsum especially if the basement is damp. Good Luck with the project.

TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Install them to make your drywall easiest to install. If you can eliminate butt joints, it makes finishing easier for a DIY'er. If that doesn't affect the hanging, go with the above advice and make sure you're 16" o.c. so you can use 1/2" drywall. You don't want to deal with 5/8" (acceptable for 24" o.c.) if you don't have to....
Old 12-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #4

I am paying someone to do the drywall so I will them 16 on center running perpendicular. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #5

Ceiling joists are rarely level. If you want the sheetrock level, you will need to shim the 2x4's in various spots.
If you have a laser level you can check how uneven it is. If you don't, you can pull some string lines accross the room to check.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #6

Yea I Can see that its not level just by looking at it. I plan use screws instead of a nail gun. That will let me unseen the purring strip and then shimmering it to be level. What size screws should I use. I don't think sheet rock screws are a good idea so I was thinking 2 /12 inch deck screws. Does sound about right?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsanto17 View Post
Yea I Can see that its not level just by looking at it. I plan use screws instead of a nail gun. That will let me unseen the purring strip and then shimmering it to be level. What size screws should I use. I don't think sheet rock screws are a good idea so I was thinking 2 /12 inch deck screws. Does sound about right?
Longer then that. A flat 2x4 right against a joist will only have 1" into the joist. Add shims for unevenness an it's even less. This is the down side of using thick wood for furring strips.
Personally I would buy a 1x3's and use 3" screws.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #8

Would u lay them flat or stand them high? I have the left over 2x4s. Which is why I prefer to use them.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #9

Lay them flat.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote