Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Installing Furnance Humdifier

I own a house built back in 1927. In the winter times, it is not as comfortable as we would like it to be. We have done everything possible to raise the comfort level. Although it has helped to increase the warmth in the house, it still is cool. I mean it is not warm evenly throughout the house. Some area it is warm and others is it cool. Granted the windows needs to be replaced, but my parents windows are 15 years old and their house is very toasty. However, I noticed that whenever my wife starts cooking in the kitchen, moisture or humidity level goes up and it feels really nice. I mean very comfortable. Usually, we turn down our thermostat when she is cooking. So, I started to Google or research on this and found out that having humidifier on your furnace actually helps a lot when it comes to heating your house in the winter time. That's when I found out that my furnace doesn't have humidifier. My parents' furnace has a big a** humidifier attached right on its duct, which I didn't notice all these years until now.

So, my question is this. Does having furnace humidifier really help to increase your comfort level or warm in the house?

If so, I have another question. My ducts and vents have wholes and gaps, which I really can't get at. For instance, I was able to patch the wholes in the ducts where I can reach easily and other places like right at the vent I can't.

Take a look at the picture of my vent below:

As you can see, right at the vent I got nothing but gaps between the brick wall and the vent...no insulation whatsoever even though I tried to stuff some. So, if I were to install a furnace humidifier, will the moisture leaking through gaps and wholes ruin or destroy wood floor and walls.

Also, which is the best humidifier in the market.

Thank you,

Last edited by diy4life; 01-25-2012 at 09:58 AM.
diy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy4life View Post
Please, I need a real honest answer... Thank you,
How does humidity relate to your comfort?
http://www.sciencecompany.com/barome...ygrometers.htm

get a tool to test with: here's one
need a wall clock anyway? get a fancier one
keep a pot of water on the stove (cinnamon in that is nice)

Mostly though... get an actual HVAC pro in there to assess your ductwork and insulation.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
How does humidity relate to your comfort?
http://www.sciencecompany.com/barome...ygrometers.htm
Well, I spend a day or two online researching on this and found ton and ton of information about heating your home and humidity in your house - youtube videos and articles.

Basically, they all point out that having some level of moisture in the air helps to keep the living space worm without raising your thermostat. Without moisture, all you are getting from your furnace is dry heat and that it really doesn't help when you are trying to heat your living space. Even though you have your thermostat sitting at 75, you will still feel cool or cold that your living space won't be evenly heated. That's what I learned.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Tags
furnace, heat, humidifer, moisture, vent