Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Installing a french drain

I am planning on installing a french drain. Can anyone supply any info on this project like tips on installation, pipe type, size, depth ect. I have been doing some research but I am looking for the opinions of people who have had the job done or have done it themselves. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

P.s. groud water in my area is very high. When I get seapage I know it is coming from below. I have all of my roof leaders exiting at the curb and my grade around my home is fine.
Thanks again

chatterbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

1st off, if that young lady's part of the crew, tell me when & where you want this job installed & we'll ALL be there, even termite

buy at an apron store: pipe - 4" flex slotted ads OR sewer/drain 4" perf pvc; 1 1/4" discharge sched 40; sump & cover into which you'll have to drill 3/4" wtr access holes; 1/3hp submersible pump [ over 100', you'll need 2 sumps/pumps & battery/backup's usually installed too ]; landscape filter cloth for lining excavation; bagg'd portland cement.

you'll also need mason's sand & 3/4" minus stone to mix conc for floor replacement,,, 5 guys can usually install 50' per day from chipping conc w/elec bosch brute to replacing conc,,, filtercloth lines underfloor trench the pipe's laid & covered w/clean stone,,, we never used sock'd pipe.

this isn't opinion - its fact & how we install'd the systems in nj/ny/pa/ct when i was in that work.

' seapage ' ? ? ? ? ? ? you really meant seepage, correct ? ? ?

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsconcrete View Post
1st off, if that young lady's part of the crew, tell me when & where you want this job installed & we'll ALL be there, even termite
You don't even have to buy me beer. I'll bring my own.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsconcrete View Post

' seapage ' ? ? ? ? ? ? you really meant seepage, correct ? ? ?
The beutiful lady will be there but she will be upstairs with me as you guys do the work LOL

Yes it is just seapage. What if it was more. Why do you ask? Thanks for all of the info. I was worried nobody wanted to comment on this.
chatterbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

I assume you are installing it in a basement or outside the basement ate the leavel at or below the bottom of the footings.

Use perforated PVC and put the perforarions on the bottom. It is not really necessary to slope the pipe since it is perforated and water will easily flow to the outlet/sump.

Make sure you have gravel and sand below and around the pipe .

If possible (only for interior drain tile) try to make a complete loop so you can flush out the pipe with a hose since there will always be a lot of clay & silt in it at first. The sock will minimize it, but that is not always best depending on the soils.

It is not difficult if you understand what you are trying to do, but it is a lot of hard work. I did an interior (hired a contractor to saw cut the slab), but my 12 year old son and I got it done (with help from his buddies) in about 3 week-ends and a few night.

It is not rocket science and "french drains" have been used for centuries and were even used to dewater fields for agricultural purposes.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

we used rigid perf pipe on occasion but, more often, it was the flexible ads brand, dick,,, we'd line the excavation w/filter cloth, install bedding of 3/4" stone, place pipe, & fill w/more stone,,, replacing the floor would've been the last step - 3" conc.

good point about cleanouts & 1 i'd forgotten,,, 4" pvc w/vinyl inserts for flushing.

as was explained to me, the term 'french drain' originally referenced the manner in which paving stones were laid at fountainbleu, louis XV's home,,, the placement allowed gravity to direct collected rainwater to the left under the hall of mirrors & thereby feed the lower reflecting gardens - eventually those swales became known as 'french drain',,, we've since changed definitions & now call sub-floor water management systems 'french drain'.

not unusual as when's the last time you heard the term 'masonary' & not the word 'masonry' which refers to the world's oldest fraternity.

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote