Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing floor in family room with high ceiling.

We are moving into a new home. The home has a family room with a very high ceiling (18'). The upstairs hallway over looks the family room. We want to put a floor across the family room even with the floor of the upstairs hallway to create an open common area on the second floor.

I have been doing a lot of research, but would very much appreciate more professional insight. My current thought is to run the floor joists from the wall on the side of the family room supporting the upstairs hallway to the outer wall. I have not been able to measure the distance exactly, but it is between 14' and 16'. I have to remove to windows on th outer wall that would be cut in half as a result of installing the floor.

On both sides there is no sill to sit the joists upon. Both sides have band joist sitting on top of the wall structure below. Can I just use joist hangers to span across the room? I would attach the hangers to the band joist on both sides.

Thank you

jrwilkinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Installing floor in family room with high ceiling.

You will need plans and a permit for this project. I suggest you talk to an Architect so he can come up with a suitable scenario.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
jrwilkinsonjr (05-08-2011)