Installing Faced Insulation Exterior Walls Tips And Tricks? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Installing faced insulation exterior walls tips and tricks?

This maybe the dumbest question I ask but what is the best way to cut faced insulation that is going in stud cavities that are not typical 16" o.c? I have a lot of bays that are less than the standard and want to know how how to measure and cut to fit into the cavities and also keep the flaps for the vapor barrier? Any tips and tricks will be very apprieciated

Advertisement

bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #2

Also, what is better, paper faced insulation or unfaced insulation with a sheet of poly over for a vapor barrier? Seems like al lot of people like the paper faced because it will allow them to glue the blue board to the studs which you can not do with the poly barrier. My concern like I mentioned aboce is that a lot of my stud bays are less than the 16" so I need to find the best methods of cutting them down and having the paper faced flap to be able to staple down to the studs? What do you think?

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #3

Anyone have any input? Stuck here. Also I am wondering what can be used to tape any rips or tears and should the bottom of the kraft faced paper be taped to the wood rafters below/above to create a seal.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I think the stard way is to compress it and cut the backing (and maybe some insulation too) with a knife or box cutter, then rip the rest of the way. been years since I las delt with it, I'll be refreshing my knowledge in the next few months.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 334

the last time i did it i just got a really good pair of scissors and spent the time and manual labor to cut it lengthwise to fit. i'm sure there are better ways to cut it, but it worked. granted, it took me awhile but looked cleaner than trying to smash it in there to fit. i also used the paper-backed insulation.

i only had a few sections where the studs weren't on 16", so i don't know what i'd do if most of them were irregular.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I like to cut insulation this way...

lay the insulation on the ground, faced side down. Use a 2x4 and lay it flat on the insulation, so that one edge of it is basically the line you want to cut. Push down on the 2x4 as you run a utility knife along it, cutting the insulation.

Might be best to do this over a piece of scrap drywall or plywood or something other than concrete that will destroy your blade quickly.

Not sure what to do about the flaps if you really want them. Maybe just cut the insulation an 3/4" wider than the area, which will give you more to work with on the stud.
Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,020

I measure and cut it to length, roll it up (compressing) and cut it with a hand saw.

The tabs and rips and holes are not as important as you think: http://www.insulating-products.com/p...lation_FAQ.pdf

Buy the good stuff: http://www.certainteed.com/additiona..._Retarders.pdf

Installation is everything: http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/he...99/991110.html

Tight to drywall: http://oikos.com/library/insulating_...lls/index.html

Use foam board on the rims: http://www.rd.com/57548/article57548.html

Air seal the drywall: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

Be safe, Gary
Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #8

I guess it just is a trial and error until u find something that works
Old 06-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

There is no trial and error. You get the straightedge, hold down the insulation, and cut it with a long knife blade. I always cut from the face side, with insulation side down.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote