Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

installing doors

When installing interior doors are they installed on top of the subfloor or are they supposed to be spaced up off the floor like base trim?

I have doors going in over carpet and some over tile, and the tile installers said they will cut the jambs as needed for the correct install, but Im not sure if it matters if I put them right on the subfloor or not?

mbaker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #2

installing doors

I always set my doors up a little . Reason being if you are using a hollow-core door and have to cut it off there is only so much interior frame to work with. Yes you can make a new piece to install inside the door skin but why when if you hold it up 1/2" you may clear your capet as well.

Paul T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #3

installing doors

Agreed thats usually what I do. 1/2" off the floor. No fuss no muss probably just going to have to trim a little off the bottom of the door.
kevin211mvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

installing doors

I use a piece of wood lath witch is 3/8" well use too, I cut pieces 3/8" and use them as spacers fro the doors and base trim. when you get to the ceramic install tile then install trim jambs. I aways pay attention to line all the tops of the doors and arches up with each other, for a nice straight line around the room or hall.
Good luck bob.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:11 AM   #5

installing doors

thanks all. I am going to hold them up 1/2". I have 3 doors in a row and wanted to keep them all lined up and 1/2" will get them real close.

I have split jamb doors so trim is already attached. The tile installer says he will cut the jamb if needed to get tile underneath it, but Im wondering if it would just be easier to install this door after the tile is laid?
Old 12-13-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

installing doors

Sorry I thought the jambs were already installed, and you were just casing them out. Yes set the jambs first. then let the tile contractor install the tile and then set the trim after. this way it makes his job easier. and you don't have to worry about changing the trim if he cuts them short, I know you could grout the space, but its up to you. I like to see them tight to the floor. BOB.

Last edited by buletbob; 12-13-2008 at 02:40 AM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

installing doors

As stated, with split-jamb doors, install on the floor, adjust the frame as needed for plumb/level/square. Then let the flooring installers adjust the jambs as needed.

Carpet: Jambs are left as installed
Tile: Jambs are wither left, or cut back to slide tile under.
Hardwood and laminates: Jambs are cut back to slide the flooring under.

Flooring companies carry jambs saws and undercut saws just for that purpose.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #8

installing doors

I have 2 new doors going into a wall with an existing door. I want to matcgh the height of the existing door so that they stay in line but to match the height of the existing door I will need to hold the new jambs 1/2" off the floor.

I dont think this will be a problem but maybe im missing something......
1 door will be over tile and one will be over carpet. Im pretty sure the one over carpet would never be seen anyway. And I am thinking the tile thickness will be more than 1/2" as well, so the installers would still need to cut the jamb back a little bit anyway.

Does this make sense? If it werent for the existing door I think I would just put on the floor and let them be.