Installing A Ceiling In A Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Installing a Ceiling in a Garage

Dear All,

Some time ago I had an extension built to my house which included an integral garage and a couple of bedrooms above it. At present, the ceiling in the garage is devoid of any plasterboard - only the joists and some fibreglass wool insulation is in place. I understand that the plasterboard should have a certain amount of fire resistance, but I am so far unable to get any sense from local council regarding relevant regulations. I have seen some insulating plasterboard types (plasterboard one side, polystyrene sheet on the other) which would provide extra insulation between garage and bedrooms above. Are these types of plasterboard permissible for such use, or failing that, can anyone please advise which types should be used. The garage is to continue to be used as a garage.

thanks

PT.

Advertisement

oldbuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

On the insulation, the vapor barrier(paper) goes toward the heated space, up in your case. No additional barrier is needed. Most codes require 5/8 firecode drywall. Some areas require double sheets. Your building department should be able to tell what is required.

How much insulation is in the ceiling??? More is better but it should not be packed tight. This is the last time you will be able to fill any gaps or openings in the insulation. Check it over thoroughly.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

Please check with your local Building Department. As Just Bill stated; Fire codes require 5/8" sheetrock and taped joints to slow a fire in the garage space below bedrooms.

It would also help stop the carbon monoxide you have been putting into the bedrooms. I hope they are still healthy. This is why we get permits, for safety reasons.

Read this page 4 under Fire Protection: http://www.codecheck.com/cc/images/CC5thEdSample.pdf
Be safe, G

Last edited by Gary in WA; 06-08-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #4

I'm surprised it passed inspection without the 5/8" sheetrock in place ?

Was it inspected?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I'm surprised it passed inspection without the 5/8" sheetrock in place ?

Was it inspected?
Long story, but to cut it short, this is main reason for fixing the problem.
So far to say no one suffering CO poisoning as engines turned off as soon as entering garage, and rear of car always facing open garage door when starting. (Both bedrooms usually 99% unoccupied 24/7)

Nevertheless, thanks for prompt replies. All jolly good stuff - however, it still doesn't answer my main question regarding suitability of insulated plasterboard for a ceiling medium in a garage. I will however check with local council if I can manage to get through to the right dept.!

thanks agen

rgds

PT.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,342

This is JMO, but if you're in a cold climate, it might be better to hire a company to spray insulation in the ceiling before you put the drywall up.

Quote:
So far to say no one suffering CO poisoning as engines turned off as soon as entering garage, and rear of car always facing open garage door when starting. (Both bedrooms usually 99% unoccupied 24/7)
That may be the case right now, but there may very well be people sleeping in those rooms [I]some day.[I] It's still best to make it safe right from the start. Also, exaust fumes are easily blown back into the garage regardless of where the tailpipe is.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #7

The 5/8" sheetrock is needed for fire proofing
No garage around here would pass inspection without the sheetrock being in place

Where are you located?
Codes differ by location
Are you in the US?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #8

No, Guys,
I'm not in "Britain's Largest Colony" - I'm IN Britain (Kent to be exact), which probably explains why the term "sheetrock" is unfamiliar. Assume you mean Plasterboard? Am well aware of the potential problems with no ceiling (actually there is fibreglass wool between the joists, held in place by by small battens, awaiting plasterboard sheeting). I need to know whether the type of plasterboard I wish to use (plasterboard with a layer of polystyrene insulation on one side - the up-side in my case) meets current fire regs or otherwise. Unless someone can give me a definitive yeah or nay, then it will be a case of chasing local council depts. for the info - something I was trying to avoid in the first place, given current success rate with our local jobsworths.

cheers

PT.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #9

Ok, sorry - not familiar with what's required there
I have enough problems with code here

Advertisement