Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #1

Share |

Installing bath tub over floor truss

I am installing a bath tub in a second floor bathroom. The floor is a wooden web truss about 15" deep with 2x4 top and bottom. The waste line needs to be drilled through the top 2x4, if possible because that is where the tub drain lines up. The truss is cantilevered over the lower exterior wall in this area. The drain will sit in the cantilevered area. What do we do to strengthen the truss when we drill the waste pipe hole?

Greg1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Bill Kearney

You don't. You move the tub's drain. Perhaps by either moving where that tub needs to sit or by getting a different tub.

Either that or you hire a structural engineer to examine your existing setup and propose a properly designed alternative.

Trusses are engineered to handle very specific design parameters. You cannot easily alter them without a very clear understanding of ALL the loads and parts of the structure involved. They're not just like old-school joists or even newer laminated materials.

Do you even know if that cantilevered section, as a whole, will even be able to handle the considerable added weight of a loaded tub? You may have bigger problems than just where you want to put that hole...

What I'm saying is STOP and hire a structural engineer. Get their input on the framing and FOLLOW THEIR RECOMMENDATIONS.

Last edited by wkearney99; 10-22-2013 at 10:14 AM.
wkearney99 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
rjniles (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

wkearney99 is spot on, IMO. You might think cutting a 1-1/2" or 2" hole in a truss chord is not a big deal--something you can just compensate with a little extra support here and there, but that's dangerous thinking. And if you're talking about framing in the area of a tub...it's very dangerous thinking. Trusses should only be modified as per manufacturer's instructions, or under the advice of an engineer. If you don't want to go through that trouble, I recommend designing the plumbing around the truss locations.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

Because if you get this wrong there's the very high likelihood of the cantilevered section pulling away from the rest of the house when the tub gets filled and someone's in it. Maybe right quick if you cut the truss. But maybe not right away as the added load might only be enough to cause slower shifting problems, elsewhere in the framing structure. There'd be cracking elsewhere. The whole thing might not collapse until a few bits of other materials finally give way. Could take quite a while, and the outcome would likely be a lot worse, and more expensive to repair.

If it sounds like doom and gloom, it's meant that way. Structures with Trusses (flooring especially) should really not be handled the same way as traditional lumber framing. It's not all that more difficult to make changes but it's a LOT less tolerant of mistakes.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

Ok I get it , don't cut the truss.
I will check in the plumbing section for options; maybe raising the tub and having an offset drain.
Thank you
Old 10-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

I checked in with the building section and they confirm that cutting the truss is a bad idea. What about other options?
This is a drop in Jacuzzi tub for which I am building the frame. I could raise the tub on a false floor to allow the drain to turn 90 degrees and go around the truss.
Any other options?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Bill Kearney

You're not answering the structural question, is that cantilevered section going to support the load of that tub? Along with the flooring material weight, as stuff like stone is a LOT heavier than ceramic.

Or let me ask it this way, what was in that space before? A bath tub already? If not, if it was just a bedroom or other 'mostly empty' space like a bedroom or closet then you really, really need to have the engineering examined.

And for heaven's sake, don't do something ugly like raising the tub unless it's actually necessary. Don't steam right ahead with the plan, step back and answer the bigger picture questions. I mean, it's not like any of us want to shout back "we told you so" when it all goes wrong...
Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1967 View Post
I checked in with the building section and they confirm that cutting the truss is a bad idea. What about other options?
This is a drop in Jacuzzi tub for which I am building the frame. I could raise the tub on a false floor to allow the drain to turn 90 degrees and go around the truss.
Any other options?
Sounds like a good solution to me.

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote