Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #1

Share |

Installing Basement Studs

Finishing my basement and I was curious what is the best way to attach the framing to the concrete floor? Is it better to bolt them to the floor or use one those nailing guns that utlizes the blank cartridges?

Thanks

jacads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #2

I used construction adhesive and a one of the .22 cal powder actuated nail guns and it has worked very well so far (and very easy!). Just be sure you use pressure treated lumber for your bottom plates that are attached to concrete.

ThunderCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #3

Standard construction adhesive or is there one that is used for wood to concrete? How often are driving a nail into the concrete every couple of feet?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCAT View Post
I used construction adhesive and a one of the .22 cal powder actuated nail guns and it has worked very well so far (and very easy!). Just be sure you use pressure treated lumber for your bottom plates that are attached to concrete.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
Love for Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacads View Post
Standard construction adhesive or is there one that is used for wood to concrete? How often are driving a nail into the concrete every couple of feet?

Thanks
Liquid nails bonds great for wood to concrete. Every three or four stud bays is what I would do about the nail schedule, since you are using both adhesive and nails. And I would always put an additional nail at both sides of a doorway or where there is a splice in the bottom plate.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #5

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by <*(((>< View Post
Liquid nails bonds great for wood to concrete. Every three or four stud bays is what I would do about the nail schedule, since you are using both adhesive and nails. And I would always put an additional nail at both sides of a doorway or where there is a splice in the bottom plate.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Love for Construction

Just wanted to follow up, but I believe this is in reference to your second thread where you are furring out a concrete block wall. I just wanted to make sure this wall is in no way structural.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #7

Quote:
I did the same...has worked so far!
ThunderCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #8

No, not structural. Currently there is paneling attached to wood strips that are about 3/4" deep and 2 1/2" wide. I want to rip all that out and replace with 2x4 studs and drywall the room.

Quote:
Just wanted to follow up, but I believe this is in reference to your second thread where you are furring out a concrete block wall. I just wanted to make sure this wall is in no way structural.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #9

what length pins should I use for attaching the studs to concrete would 2 1/2" pins be okay or should I use longer ones?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #10

I used Tapcons every few feet to attach, works great for me.
dstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #11

I have used both split drive anchors and tapcons to attach to concrete in basements. It comes down to a personal preferance. They both have advantages. The split drive anchor will countersink into the wood and is a hammer driven anchor while tapcon is driven into the concrete with a drill. A 1/4 " tapcon when in the concrete at least 1" has a pull out of 800lb per screw and the 1/4" split drive anchor has a pull out of 1050lbs when embeded 1 1/4" into the concrete. Be sure that the anchors are at least 10 anchor diameters apart so not to lower there holding values.

Last edited by Bronx; 03-13-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote