Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |

Installing an Anderson sash, without frame

Anderson replaced a couple of my casement windows under warranty (failed seals - a little cloudy), and I'd like to put one of the old sashes in the shed I'm building to add a little light. Can someone please suggest a good way to attach this sash, and weatherproof it a bit?

I've removed the hardware from the sash, so it's just a pane with a vinyl clad frame around it. The outermost part of the frame is a 1/2" wide flange with weatherstrip on it (where it used to seat against the frame when cranked closed.) I figured I could seat that weatherseal against the sheathing on the outside of the building, then butt some trim up to it, and put flashing above the top trim, and above the sill trim.

I think I'd hold it in by screwing some metal clips to the inside part of the vinyl clad frame, and screwing those to the 2x4s on either side of the rough opening.

Hows that sound? Any better advice on weatherizing it? It's an unheated shed, so it's not super critical that its perfectly weathertight, but I'd like it to keep water out, and away from the framing/sheathing.

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Eibwen

I think I'd make up a couple of frames and router em so the sash can clamp in between em. then just screw it to the wall

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 AM   #3

Not sure I understand Sammy. This isn't a double hung sash, it's a casement.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #4

Build a frame out of composite wood. Make sure the bottom slopes away from the structure and projects out past the siding. Install a perimeter of exterior stops the window can lean against and after the sash is installed apply a set of interior stops so the sash stays put. Trim out the exterior so it's weather tight.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote