DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing aluminum trim facia

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  nikeman 
#1 ·
Am hoping joe will see this because he has seen what I'm working with in person. Anyway, I just want to cover the trim of my shed which is currently just bare wood. At this point I only have 8 12' pieces of 6" prebent facia. I put up a piece just to play with it and try to figure it out on my own. I just have it under the shingles with 2 trim nails partially hammered in to hold it up. I was told to use j- molding but I do not know what to do with that molding. Any tips?

Here's what I got, was hoping to get it done this weekend but it rained yesterday and today has flown by.

See less See more
#2 ·
J moulding needed to go up first where the siding meets the soffit so the vinyl soffit can slide into the J, vinyl soffet gets nailed up next, make sure it does not stick out past the fashia, then the trim you bought can go up.

Just walk across the yard and look how your house was done and copy that.

#3 ·
There is maybe a 1/4" overhang at the bottom. I was thinking I would fold that over with a mallet or something and put nails there to hold it up? Not sure how to cover that bottom section though. The 6" piece is to wide for it and all the prebent was 6" or 8" from what I saw.

#4 · (Edited)
joecaption said:
J moulding needed to go up first where the siding meets the soffit so the vinyl soffit can slide into the J, vinyl soffet gets nailed up next, make sure it does not stick out past the fashia, then the trim you bought can go up.

Just walk across the yard and look how your house was done and copy that.
My house looks like has the rolls of the trim facia. I don't see any I-molding.

Also, on the she the top of the wood trim meets with the shingles. I am realizing that your probably talking about the sides. Still confused though.

#5 ·
Soffit gets installed on the whole building before the aluminum goes up.
Fasha board is 5-1/2, the vinyl soffit is 1/2" your metal is 6" that bottom edge is to hold up the soffit material not be attached like you have it.

#7 ·
As your roof is already shingled there is an undersill trim you can get to slip the fascia up into.

Any yes usually fascia goes on after the soffit.
If for some reason you want wood soffit you can rip 1/2" (or whatever you need) off the fascia, score it with a utility knife and bend it a few times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.