Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing a ABS Pipe on a Balcony

I want to attach a 30 ft length of ABS pipe over a balcony. The pipe is actually a periscope, and will need to hang over the balcony to street level (eye level). I would really appreciate any advice regarding 1) how to attach one 10 ft/ 4 inch diameter length of ABS pipe to another, keeping in mind that this apparatus may have to be quickly disassembled and the negative space in the tube must remain free of objects to give a clear line of vision. 2) After the apparatus has been constructed, how to hang/attach the pipe over the balcony so that it hangs rigid and straight down. The hanging options on the balcony are a wrought iron railing and steel mesh flooring.

I was thinking of using clamps to combine the pipe lengths (will this hold?) and building some sort of brace to attach to the pipe. I want to make sure this apparatus is safe and will not spontaneously break and fall due to shoddy craftsmanship. Any and all suggestions would be very welcome! Thank you,
Alex

Donnythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

You could consider using 'No-hub' connectors Mr. Goldberg.

(You know, like Rube Goldberg)

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnythecat View Post
I want to attach a 30 ft length of ABS pipe over a balcony. The pipe is actually a periscope, and will need to hang over the balcony to street level (eye level). I would really appreciate any advice regarding 1) how to attach one 10 ft/ 4 inch diameter length of ABS pipe to another, keeping in mind that this apparatus may have to be quickly disassembled and the negative space in the tube must remain free of objects to give a clear line of vision. 2) After the apparatus has been constructed, how to hang/attach the pipe over the balcony so that it hangs rigid and straight down. The hanging options on the balcony are a wrought iron railing and steel mesh flooring.

I was thinking of using clamps to combine the pipe lengths (will this hold?) and building some sort of brace to attach to the pipe. I want to make sure this apparatus is safe and will not spontaneously break and fall due to shoddy craftsmanship. Any and all suggestions would be very welcome! Thank you,
Alex
Who do you think will allow you to dangle a 30 foot piece of 4" PVC over a balcony to the street?
Is this an apartment building?
What's the point of this device?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

Sound like a fun project---In this day of little bitty cameras it nice to think of a 'low teck 'project.

Have fun---post a picture----Mike----
Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Neighbors will love your discrete snooping pipe.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Neighbors will love your discrete snooping pipe.
Its not for "snooping", its for "data collecting" or "information gathering"....TOTALLY different

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
You could consider using 'No-hub' connectors Mr. Goldberg.

(You know, like Rube Goldberg)

Andy.

Thanks for the tip, Andy! I'll definitely look into this. Now to figure out a brace for attaching the whole damn thing...
Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Who do you think will allow you to dangle a 30 foot piece of 4" PVC over a balcony to the street?
Is this an apartment building?
What's the point of this device?
Ron

It is an apartment building. The reason I submitted this post is so that I could substitute the word 'dangle' for 'secure' in your sentence. It's essentially a low tech spy cam for pedestrians to be able to look into my bedroom window. I imagine the authorities may intervene, which is why it is preferable for the thing to be easily disassembled. Do you have any advice on how to make this thing safe?
Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
It is an apartment building. The reason I submitted this post is so that I could substitute the word 'dangle' for 'secure' in your sentence. It's essentially a low tech spy cam for pedestrians to be able to look into my bedroom window. I imagine the authorities may intervene, which is why it is preferable for the thing to be easily disassembled. Do you have any advice on how to make this thing safe?
Why do you want people looking in your bedroom? And what makes you think anyone would want to?

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
Why do you want people looking in your bedroom? And what makes you think anyone would want to?

It's not that I want people snooping on me all the time or am some kind of reverse voyeur. Bedrooms are very private spaces, and sidewalks are very public spaces. The periscope serves to obfuscate this boundary. Regarding o'mikes comment, it could be seen as a riff on more 'high tech' windows that allow public access into a persons (strategically edited) private life- like Facebook, for example.

People are naturally curious! If you saw a giant periscope hanging from a three story apartment, wouldn't you take a peek in?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 162

Is this some type of living-art type project? Sounds very interesting
loftezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,002

I think the 30' distance between mirrors might be a challenge. Have you prototyped this yet for functionality?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
I think the 30' distance between mirrors might be a challenge. Have you prototyped this yet for functionality?

Yeah, that's actually the biggest question mark. I'm using magnifying mirrors to offset the distance, but the image will be small anyways. Splicing in magnifying glasses at their exact focal points is a little too much for me. It may turn out ok though- kind of an alice in wonderland tunnel view? i'll have to remember to leave a light on.

I can post some images when it's done- maybe a week or two.

In the meantime, do people agree that 'no-hub' couplings will do the trick? Any recommendations on a quick release but secure way to attach this to a steel railing?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Keep the helmet on. Who knows what damage another head shot would do.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Donnythecat (03-19-2011)