Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing 48" wide unfaced r19 in a pole shed

I am trying to figure out how to keep my insulation from falling down. I am installing this in a pole shed. The poles are 8' center. The insulation is 48" wide. The height is 18'. How can i install 2 sections from bottom to top without it falling down or settling over the years. It is unfaced so there is no where to staple it fast to the wood?

WBROUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBROUSE View Post
I am trying to figure out how to keep my insulation from falling down. I am installing this in a pole shed. The poles are 8' center. The insulation is 48" wide. The height is 18'. How can i install 2 sections from bottom to top without it falling down or settling over the years. It is unfaced so there is no where to staple it fast to the wood?
What sort of wall material are you putting over the insulation?
For smaller width insulation I've use the wire rods to hold the standard 14 1/2" batts in place. You might try threading the rods through the insulation to sort of hang it in place until the wall covering goes up. Or you could cut the height in half(thirds) be installing a framing block to reduce the mass hanging the full 18 feet.
Or you could do both if needed.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #3

I am going to run 2x4 perlons from post to post and then cover it with white vertical metal. Before I put the perlon on I am going to sheet it with plastic for a vapor barier.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

I've seen a similar application on a commercial project where they used some sort of fiberglass mesh netting in between steel columns to keep the batt insulation in place .

I don't know the name of the product but i'm sure its priced "commercially"

You mentioned you're going to install corrugated panels on the inside.I would just double up on horizontal furring strips and use 'em instead to keep the insulation in place.
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

Thumbs up

I actually found a good way to do this. I pounded in metal wire staples about 2 1/2" back on each side of the main pole. I put them every 2 feet staggering them from the left side to the right side. Then I cut the insulation to 10' high sections and put them in. holding them up with nylon string that you use to pull wire thru conduit pulling it tight as I go. It works super.

Thanks For all the responses

Old 12-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Another option would have been for you to use insulation mounting pins. These pins are constructed using #10 galvanized wire welded to a perforated base plate (1 1/2" square). A dab of construction adhesive is placed on the wall and the perforated plate is pressed into the dab.
24 hours later, the insulaion is hung over the pins and held in place with a spring nut that is slid over the wire.
The extra wire projecting beyond the spring nut is turned back, as the sharp end of the wire is dangerous.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #7

Where do you get these type of mounting brackets at?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBROUSE View Post
Where do you get these type of mounting brackets at?
I bought mine at a construction supply business! They are used in HVAC trade extensively. Call a HVAC business and they will be able to name a supplier.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote