Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

install trek on flat roof of another room to creat deck?

Hello, We have a problem with our deck leaking which is on top of another room. Presently our deck is tiled with grout cracking and looks like the underlayment (tar type paper over plywood base)of tile cracking. We were wondering if trek decking could be used to replace the tile. My question includes does treks leak?? Are they tongue and groove? What kind of underlayment product should we use to prevent leaking?? If we can use trek as this decks flooring at all? Note this deck is fully exposed to the elements, Cold in winter (freezing sometimes) and very hot >110 in summer. I'm thinking trek as opposed to tile because of the grout craking issue and alittle more flexible/forgiving than rigid tile with settling and wind load and basic use. Thank You for your time, Ckurita

ckurita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Your first area of concern would be to rip all the material up and also check the framing that is underneath that deck for possible structural rot/damage.

1.) Demo.
2.) Address the damage that the water/moisture has done.
3.) Do your Fixing.
4.) Repair the roof that was compromised and allowing moisture in. Incorporate the new deck design in with your roof plans.

I would suggest that your hire a pro for this, unless you feel up to the task. If you hire a pro, they will be able to work with you on a new decking material that will be good for you, your weather environment, and your home...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #3

thank You for the quick response. Yes we are investigating and intend on getting bids to demo and repair. A "pro" did this job initially. How he did it was very unprofessional. We are just trying to learn any other possible ways to floor this deck to avoid this problem again. Of course finding that "pro" who really knows what to do may be the challenge. I thought how hard can a covered patio with a balconey above be??? But I guess it is difficult. It took this contractor 10 months and nothing but problems. thanks anyway..
Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Trex is not a waterproof decking as its self but could be layed over a properly waterproofed roof. Look for a good roofing contractor for answers to this problem. Past customers are alsways the best leads The job shouldn't take more than 2 weeks of actual work time not counting weather delays
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Trex is not a waterproof decking as its self but could be layed over a properly waterproofed roof. Look for a good roofing contractor for answers to this problem. Past customers are alsways the best leads The job shouldn't take more than 2 weeks of actual work time not counting weather delays
Thanks for your response. So what I understand is that we need to seal like a roof then we can lay Trex or tile on top of that sealed roofing material. We were looking at POLYCOAT product POLYDECK400 an elastomeric system designed to expand and contract and is waterproof for balconies,decks and roof decks. I'm not sure if this product is meant to have something installed over it though.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #6

After three years, our Trek decking and railing system has failed. It is splintering, rotting, cracking, and after all the money we spend, and thought we had chosen a good product, I can assure you using Trek materials was a disaster.

You need to do your research, check the websites and blogs, and see how questionable and unreliable Trek products are. What a waste of your money when there are so many other products out there to choose from.
Patricia Folsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #7

Ckurita, I just found this site. What did you decide to do? I have the same problem as you. I was thinking about using Trek but now I am not sure. I was told that after the demo, I will need to put a rubberized material (like what they use on roof edges) to seal it. I would really be interested in what you did. Thank you. loverofroses
loverofroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #8

First get the roof redone with a epdm type roof membrane. Then lay down tapered sleepers (do not screw these into the roof). Then apply whatever deck boards to the sleepers but do not let the screws penetrate through the sleepers into the roof membrane. The deck boards once screwed into the sleepers will rack the sleepers and allow for air to dry out the roof area. This will also allow for any future repairs to the roof since the deck boards can easily be removed for any repairs. Hope this helps.
marlinpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

Another No on Trex. I have an eight year old Trex deck (no Trex rails) and while I have no problems with Trex I would not recommend it for your application because it is not only very expensive but it is also very heavy

You have not included your location, what about earthquakes & tornados?

If you use sleepers, by using closer spacing, you may be able to use less than 2X decking.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #10

It's sad that we keep hearing of failures of Trex composite decking
But not surprising I guess
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #11

The OP was dated a year ago, shouldn't this be put with the other trex post? G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
Another No on Trex. I have an eight year old Trex deck (no Trex rails) and while I have no problems with Trex I would not recommend it for your application because it is not only very expensive but it is also very heavy

You have not included your location, what about earthquakes & tornados?

If you use sleepers, by using closer spacing, you may be able to use less than 2X decking.
Just a note on this thread. The concern of weight is definitely warranted. Of equal concern is uplift. Depending on wind loads, location, elevation, etc, the potential exists for strong gusts and sustained winds to actually lift an unsecured deck structure off of the roof. So it's a not-too-little, not-too-much balance that needs to be struck: heavy enough to avoid being sucked off the roof, light enough to not damage the existing structure. Straightforward calculations, but they should both be looked at.

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote