Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Install Siding before Raising Wall

OK folks, here is an interesting question. I will be constructing an addition to my DC rowhouse shortly and as DC rowhouses go, the addition will be built right up to the property line. There are plenty of complexities as far as this goes, but one big one I am trying to work out. In order to install the siding on the addition, I imagine I will have to access my neighbor's property. We are friendly enough, but I would prefer to avoid this if at all possible.

Of course it is possible to sheathe the walls before raising them and I've read about how to install the housewrap before raising the walls as well. Is there anyway at all to install siding before raising the walls? Has anyone ever done this? I will be using Hardie Plank cementfiber siding. The addition is 3 floors.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I wall is pretty heavy.....I raised 16' walls w/tyvek & windows in place
But I think your walls are smaller ?
I think the issue will be getting the hardieplank tight up against the existing wall
The hardie plank is pretty heavy too

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #3

Thanks Dave. I am sure the weight is a major concern, but less so in my case, the walls are approximately 9'x10', so smaller than the average wall, no windows or doors either in these.

So, is it possible? I figure I would need to leave off a row or two in order to be able to nail the sheathing. It seems complicated, especially with the way hardie is nailed. Would love to hear from someone who has done this before!

Last edited by stubits; 04-01-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,468

That's what wall jacks are for.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #5

Kwikfishron - Thanks for chiming in. I am not so worried about the weight of the wall. It is a relatively small wall, just 10' x 9' or so and worst case scenario I can get some friends to help me lift the wall up.

What I am trying to understand is the logistics.

First, the siding, Hardiplank, is installed from the bottom of the wall up. I am concerned that I am going to end up with something being out of level or out of whack from the rest of the structure. How do you handle this?

Second, what about everything that overlaps the rim joist and the floor below, the sheathing, housewrap and siding?

Any tips or tricks or instructions would be great!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Mod

A picture would be nice.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #7

Hmm, a photo is kind of tough because I am at least a month away from building the wall, but maybe these will help. Here's a photo of the area as it is now as well as one of the sections from the plans showing what we are trying to accomplish.

That said, I guess I am just trying to figure out how, if at all, can you install hardie plank siding in this manner. I am just struggling to figure it out given the blind nailing pattern, where the nails are hidden under the plank above. How would someone go about replacing or repairing a broken or damaged plank?

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Place a strip of Flashing and a belly band where the siding needs to be missing for nailing the sheathing.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #9

What is a belly band?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #10

Plywood will overlap from one floor to another
I prefer to install after its built
Too much chance to be slightly off-level
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,226

It looks like the floor deck will be only around 5 ft by 10 ft. How will you assemble a 10x9 wall on a 10x5 floor? I think you'll need to build your walls on the ground and carry or hoist them up. So you'll want them light.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubits View Post
What is a belly band?
a horizontal 'rim band' that divides sections on a wall. often a 2 x 10.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
Mod

Personally I’d side it after and not because I’m worried about something not lining up but thinking more about leak issues. How is it all going to tie in at the corners and up top. I don’t see how you could do it without having to get up on the wall anyway. It’s mandatory (in my book) to wrap the “Felt” around the corners and in most places your sheathing has to tie into the other outside corner wall so usually you end up leaving a piece of sheathing off at the corner. Don’t you have a nailing inspection before you can cover? We sure do.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #14

Talk to the Building Inspector for your area. Ask him if you could just show pictures of the nailing pattern after that wall is up, before the rest is sided. Run the housewrap/builder's paper long at the corners, leave off the siding board covering the rim plywood nailing/steel connectors, to face nail after inspection. Pre-paint the siding before install, install 1/2 of corner-board, bother the neighbor fewer times. Use metal flashing above if going with belly-band. Your sheathing doesn't have to tie/overlap into the other corner wall, per code. Be sure to move the corner stud flush with the other sheathing OR add a rip to cover before raising the wall. Build it all on the ground/roof and boom truck it into place with a crane.

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #15
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Talk to the Building Inspector for your area. Ask him if you could just show pictures of the nailing pattern after that wall is up, before the rest is sided. Run the housewrap/builder's paper long at the corners, leave off the siding board covering the rim plywood nailing/steel connectors, to face nail after inspection. Pre-paint the siding before install, install 1/2 of corner-board, bother the neighbor fewer times. Use metal flashing above if going with belly-band. Your sheathing doesn't have to tie/overlap into the other corner wall, per code. Be sure to move the corner stud flush with the other sheathing OR add a rip to cover before raising the wall. Build it all on the ground/roof and boom truck it into place with a crane.

Be safe, Gary
Does in Oregon.