Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #1

Share |

Install Pocket Door on wall with Upper and Lower Kitchen cabinets?

We are remodeling our kitchen to sell our home and want to get the most bang for our buck.

I am thinking of swapping out the 30" standard door (35" incld door frame, that leads into downstairs playroom) with a Pocket Door, as there is a slight traffic issue with the current door.

Taking this change into consideration, am I able to place Upper and Lower Kitchen cabinets on this wall?

The wall that door sits on runs 13' 3" and the cabinets will run the entire length of the soffit (102")..which leaves me with 21" of space between the current frame of the door and the end of the last cabinet.

I am planning on placing a 24" upper wall cabinet, next to stove, and a 15" (3 drawer) base & a 9" angled open shelve base below. I believe the 15" base cabinet will just clear the frame of the pocket door, but the 24" upper cabinet will fall 9" beyond the end of the pocket frame.

I have attached a few photos of the current door (please don't mind the mess) and what my kitchen plans are (cabinets have been ordered).

I would like to swap out the current door with a pocket and not interfere with the upper and lower cabinet placement, but am not 100% sure if this is possible.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

kmbarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
journeyman carpenter

bad idea.. unless you build an extra thick split stud wall in order to accomodate the pocket door and still have enough meat to fasten the cabinets too.

most pocket door kits have 3/4 " thick split studs which have little strength in them

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

That may be a load bearing wall so that would make this a big project. Plus the problems with screwing in cabinets it is not worth the effort if you are just going to sell the house.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

Like others have said, you would likely need a sturdy wall to screw cabinets to, which means creating a strong double-stud wall. That means moving out at least one side of the wall, because the wall will get thicker.

I see why the door is inconvenient. What if you put the hinges on the other side? Would that help?
JKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #5

Why is there a door there at all? Is it required? What about a set of 1/2 doors hinged on both sides?
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #6

A pocket door retrofit, based on the photos you posted, would be much, much more work than it would be worth. At best, you'd lose some cabinet space. At the worst, that could be a load-bearing wall.

All the interior doors in my log house are pocket doors (that's what the wife wanted). They were a PITA to install even in new construction. You have to be really, really careful when figuring out where to put switches and outlets.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 02-27-2014 at 08:07 PM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
JOATMON

I sort of doubt that is a load bearing wall with the stairs right there....but chances are, there is a 4x4 post helping to support those stairs and what goes above it.

To know for sure, your going to have to open up some walls to see....and look at what is above it. If there is another wall on top of that wall...chances are, it's load bearing. If open space above...then your odds are improving.

As for cabinets.....I think it was O'Mike who told me this trick....Put 3/4" plywood between the pocket door studs....then you have something solid to screw into.

And looking at your layout....you don't really have a lot of cabinets in the area of the pocket door. The fridge is right there. Your going to need a header above the pocket door...so that is a good chunk of wood to screw into.

Hence...I'm on the side of...yea...I think it's doable.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-28-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

I think if you built a sturdy soffit above, the top cabinets could be screwed up into the soffit. The lower cabinets could be fastened into the floor if needed. The bearing issues will still have to be dealt with, but this certainly can be done.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #9

Thank you all. Our home is a 3 level split (with the basement right below the kitchen)...which leads me to believe that yes, it's a load bearing wall. I think once we open the wall, we'll have a better sense as to they stud formation in that area.

I double checked the measurements and the upper cabinet would be able to fasten to the new, larger header...but I guess the question would be, would we get the cost of the work involved back when we sell.

The only reason I'd like to keep a door there is we use the playroom as our guest room when family comes to town, as there is a full bath in there...but maybe taking the door down and leave the opening (at least when we have our first open house, and store actual door in garage) would be a better/less expensive solution and give perspective buyers the option of putting the door back on the frame.

Thanks again for all your help!!
kmbarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #10

As I look at your photos, installing a pocket door in your situation would involve a considerable amount of work. That is, if you can install one there at all. I'm doubtful. But if you are able to put one in....

This may be useful info for you.

I recently installed a pocket door in a bathroom. It was a small master bath and the conventional door took up too much space. The pocket door was a great solution. But I choose to build my own solid frame for the new door instead of buying the flimsy frames sold in the big box stores. Total cost out-of-pocket cost after everything was done was over $800. That included new sheetrock, joint compound, paint and primer, a Johnson Hardware heavy-duty kit, lumber, door hardware, screws, a top quality 6-panel door and casing. Making different choices in terms of materials you could probably shave up to $200 off the costs.
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
JOATMON

km.....what is 'above' the wall? That will help determine if it's load bearing or not.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 02-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #12

Here's a peek at my pocket door mentioned above. Was a funny little project and as usual took more time that anticipated.
Good luck!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #13

Obviously, I'm having trouble posting photos. I'll try again.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #14

2nd try at posting photo.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #15
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYRemodeler View Post
Obviously, I'm having trouble posting photos. I'll try again.
You might have a loose nut behind the keyboard.....

The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
DIYRemodeler (02-28-2014)