Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #1

Share |

Install Integrity windows over asphalt felt or other rough opening treatments?

After reading the instructions on the Integrity windows it lists a procedure for installation over asphalt felt. Is is best practice to this is even with having to make 90deg bends in the felt to allow it into the rough opening (won't it crack)? How about getting some wide, flexible PVC and using that in place of the asphalt felt to line the rough opening before applying sealant, nailing fin then flashing?

Thanks

kooshball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

The felt wraps into the window frame. The nailing fins get caulked and nailed. Then apply window flashing over the fins and over the felt. At the top the flashing tape laps the sides (which lap over the bottom). Tuck the top flashing tape under the building's vapor barrier. The idea is that everything from above is over the bottom so water continues to shed.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
The felt wraps into the window frame. The nailing fins get caulked and nailed. Then apply window flashing over the fins and over the felt. At the top the flashing tape laps the sides (which lap over the bottom). Tuck the top flashing tape under the building's vapor barrier. The idea is that everything from above is over the bottom so water continues to shed.
I have not had good experience getting strong adhesion to the felt paper with Dynaflex 230 and the folks at OSI say that their Quad product won't stick either. My though was that by substituting PVC for felt at the rough opening I would get good adhesion to the substrate. Any thoughts on sealants that will stick to the felt and not have negative impact on the PVC nailing fin?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

caulking is used only for stopping air infiltration, not for "gluing" the window to the felt or anything else. The nailing flange is used to fasten the window. The flashing is used to waterproof the window.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #5

Makes sense. I guess as long as I get a good wet-out when I set the window in place I will be fine after the flashing tape is applied.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #6

Don't forget the sticky flexible tape on the sill and the head flashing above, as per instructions: http://www.integritywindows.com/down...DocumentID=787 From: http://www.integritywindows.com/?pag...n_Instructions If that is your window....
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #7

GBR, that is my window; I am planning to follow the instructions exactly.