DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Install exterior entry door after siding?

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
I am building a garden shed that is currently sheathed and house wrapped. I purchased an outswing exterior entry door that will have the brick mold already attached to the front of the jam. Would I install this before or after the hardi panel siding?

#2 · (Edited)
Before, I also would remove the wooden brick molding and replace it with PVC brick molding, install rubber window tape around opening, install a jamb sill for the door to set in. Once the doors in I'd install a piece of 1 X 6 PVC lumber up tight under the threshold so it's fully supported and attach it with Stainless steel or ceramic coated trim head screws. Then the threshold can not twist and cause leaks at the outside corners.
http://www.jamsill.com/
Make sure to read all the directions on the Hardee web site before installing.
Every cut will need to sealed with paint or the surface will fall apart, behind every seam they want you do install a strip of tar paper and it will need to be caulked.
I just hate James Hardee and the trim boards are the worst. I use 5/4 X 4 trim instead or premade 1X PVC 90 deg. corners.
Way to fragle, amost impossible to repair just one piece once it's installed, needs to be painted and caulked. Vinyl goes up far faster, no dust when cutting, and it takes all of 10 min to replace a piece if it gets damaged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.