Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #1

Share |

Install barn siding, interior.

Ok. Tore down the neighbor's barn, stored the wood X 1yr. Now ready to install as paneling in the "mudroom". There is currently drywall. I think I need to tear out the drywall, replace with blackened sheeting/plywood (to anchor my barn siding to) I intend barn siding up to about 4-5 ft high, topped with one board for coat hooks all around the room. There is also a window and a few doors that will need to included to be trimmed out. My husband thinks we should leave the drywall for insulation purposes and apply some type of board to nail the siding to. I disagree. Also, what type of nail/fastner are you using for that old look.........

Monica Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #2

Well, I guess the question is, does this sound like the right way to go about such a project? What have some of you done when hanging barn siding? Tricks or tips for those tough spots, or details I might not have thought about................. thanks so much!!

Monica

Monica Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #3

Your husband may be right. Depending on which way you hang the siding (vertically or horizontaly). Using existing studs is easiest, otherwise you'll need nailers. I suggest leaving the drywall, then use roofing felt (blk) as a backer. Barn siding will most likely have gaps, you want a dark backing behind otherwise its visable btwx cracks. If you hanf vertically, paint/stain your firing stips dark... so they are hidden. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Wood View Post
Ok. Tore down the neighbor's barn, stored the wood X 1yr. Now ready to install as paneling in the "mudroom". There is currently drywall. I think I need to tear out the drywall, replace with blackened sheeting/plywood (to anchor my barn siding to) I intend barn siding up to about 4-5 ft high, topped with one board for coat hooks all around the room. There is also a window and a few doors that will need to included to be trimmed out. My husband thinks we should leave the drywall for insulation purposes and apply some type of board to nail the siding to. I disagree. Also, what type of nail/fastner are you using for that old look.........
Trappman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... I agree, leave the drywall,...
Put thin sheets of plywood/ osb horizonally, painted Dark...
Then attach the vertical boards with finish nails,... You'll hardly see them...
If you want to waste the cash,... Square nails can be found....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote