Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Inexpensive fencing for dog containment

Hi everyone.

My house backs up to a bayou here in Katy, TX so I have no neighbors behind me. There used to be a typical 6ft wood fence back there but hurricane Ike took care of part of it. After Ike, I decided just to pull the rest of the rotted fence down, mow the bayou banks behind the house and enjoy the view. It is nice. The HOA either doesn't care because it's the backyard or doesn't know. It's been this way for 2 years now.

Last Sunday, the wife and I rescued a dog (golden retriever) and now we need a fence since this dog will run away if we let him (he doesn't know any better yet). Need ideas for cheap fencing to keep him in. He's not terribly mischevious and he's not a digger. If there's a fence there, even a short one, he'll likely not mess with it. My wife like's the idea of chainlink (probably no taller than 5ft). I thought about doing a short wood fence, but ripping the fence plans in half and having 2-3" gaps in between them (white picket fence style). The length is about 60ft and I'd definitely want a gate to the bayou so I can continue to mow back there.

What say y'all?

Thanks in advance! Have a great one.

Last edited by shane2943; 02-28-2011 at 10:54 AM.
shane2943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

I am a real fan of the electric buried fence we use to contain our four dogs. We have 1 acre and we couldn't afford to fence it all. I bought the system, wire and collars online and installed it myself.

Even our dumbest-hard-headed dog understood the training ( and man, he is DUMB). Because after the training the dogs rarely, or never, get shocked; I find it a very humane system. One of our dogs doesn't even wear her collar all the time, because she's learned her boundaries.

Cost was in the neighborhood of $500 (including enough collars for all 4 of our dogs). It was easy, but labor intensive to install.

shane2943 (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #3

Not a bad idea actually! I want our dog to be able to run around in the bayou area too (it's much largr than the backyard) and fencing that area off is out of the question since we don't own that land. We could bury the e-fence though and no one would know.

What brand did you buy and where did you get it?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

Here's a question that popped into my mind: since we walk our dog along the bayou a lot, would crossing the boundary on leash confuse him (without the shock collar on obviously)? In other words, when he's off-leash, he'll have the shock collar on him and thus will be bound within the e-fence's limit, but when he's being walked and on-leash, he can freely cross that boundary without being shocked since we'd take the collar off.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

We have the invisible fence also. We have roughly two acres of our property "fenced" off for our 2 big mutts. We leave them out daily while we are at work and have had no problems with them escaping. We do have an issue with them being skiddish around the boundry with or without the collar on. It also doesn't matter which side of the boundry they are on. They know where the line is and stay clear of it. We have about an acre that isn't inside the containment which includes the driveway, so we can walk them easily. If you are able to install the wire so you can have access to the bayou outside of the containment you could have the best of both worlds. Good luck.
kboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kboyz For This Useful Post:
shane2943 (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post
Here's a question that popped into my mind: since we walk our dog along the bayou a lot, would crossing the boundary on leash confuse him (without the shock collar on obviously)? In other words, when he's off-leash, he'll have the shock collar on him and thus will be bound within the e-fence's limit, but when he's being walked and on-leash, he can freely cross that boundary without being shocked since we'd take the collar off.
If your willing to put in the time, you can train your dog to cross the line with permission ( just make sure it can't get shocked when you give permission). Early on it's best to use a dummy collar rather than take it off completely, so he doesn't learn that no collar means no correction. Your goal is to teach the dog to respect the boundries, so he will stay in the yard even with the collar off, unless he has permission to cross the line
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Chips For This Useful Post:
shane2943 (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboyz View Post
We have the invisible fence also. We have roughly two acres of our property "fenced" off for our 2 big mutts. We leave them out daily while we are at work and have had no problems with them escaping. We do have an issue with them being skiddish around the boundry with or without the collar on. It also doesn't matter which side of the boundry they are on. They know where the line is and stay clear of it. We have about an acre that isn't inside the containment which includes the driveway, so we can walk them easily. If you are able to install the wire so you can have access to the bayou outside of the containment you could have the best of both worlds. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
If your willing to put in the time, you can train your dog to cross the line with permission ( just make sure it can't get shocked when you give permission). Early on it's best to use a dummy collar rather than take it off completely, so he doesn't learn that no collar means no correction. Your goal is to teach the dog to respect the boundries, so he will stay in the yard even with the collar off, unless he has permission to cross the line
Both good info. Thanks, guys!

Well, the e-fence is definitely an option. The more I think about it (and the more I talk to the bos....err....wife), we need a physical fence first.

I came across this site and think it's a pretty good idea. Plus, with this fence, later on and can come back and remove the wire and attach pickets to the wood frame.

http://buildafencecheap.com

I measured tonight and I need 71' of fence. Calculating out the materials brings the cost to about $300 for that fence. It's well over $700 for a chain link. I'm thinking 4' high will be plenty.

What do y'all think of this idea? Thank you for the input thus far!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Works for me if it works for you. The only thing you may want to do is make sure it's cool with your HOA. This would be a big no-no in my development.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #9

HOA hasn't said a thing in the past 2 years about not having a fence at all back there. I doubt they'd say something now. I don't think they care much about the back yard (thankfully). But at least doing a fence this way, I'll have the traditional wood fence frame in place sans the pickets. A traditional 6 foot wood fence is what was there originally, but hurricane Ike decided it was time to renovate.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Definitely read your HOA by-laws before you spend any money. Just in case. If it violates the rules and they call you out on it they WILL be able to make you take it down, and you WILL NOT be able to stop them or get your money back.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,116

A friend has a wireless system.
It is adjustable and you can widen the area as needed.
He takes his dogs camping with him, and he can adjust it to cover the camp site.
I think he bought his at lowes for about $200.