Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Share |

Indoor patio slab

My contractor just poured a 17' X 17' slab for my enclosed patio. It has a 3.5" step over the sliding door into the back yard. I think that the slab should have been built higher so that you dont have to step over it to get to the outside. It seems like it could be a safty issue. should he put in a subfloor so that the transition from the inside to the outside is even? If he puts in a subfloor, it would be a 3.5" step down into the backyard. Which makes more sence to me.
Tinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #2

Indoor patio slab

Welcome!

If you have a 3.5" step down from the house to new conrete of the new room - and if the floor of the new room were brought up 3.5" it would make a 3.5" step to the backyard - this sounds like the new concrete is at the same level of the yard. This brings up several questions. How is water to be kept out of the enclosed patio. How is this enclosed patio going to be sided to provide ground to siding clearance? If now a subfloor is installed, what about whatever the edge of the subfloor is contructed of being at ground level?

From the info at hand, and not knowing more details - sounds like the concrete should maybe not be at the level house, but moreso than it is. Something like a 1" step down house to patio slab allowing at least some clearance then to the ground level.

What did the permitted plan call for?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #3

Indoor patio slab

The new slab is even with the outdoor patio slab. If a subfloor would be installed like I think it should be, then the step down to the outside would be 3.5". The water would not be able to get into the inside because the floor inside is higher than the outside. The water would not get in anyway because the 3.5" is part of the foundation. Picture something like walking into a wading pool. Going from the outside slab to the indoor slab, you have a 3.5" step over where the sliding glass door will be installed. the step over might be a safety issue going from the inside to the outside? That is correct. The inside slab is even with the outside. It will be stucco. No written plans. Going from the house to the new patio has 2 steps, 7" high. House is a raised foundation.

Last edited by Tinc; 07-10-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #4

Indoor patio slab

The new slab is even with the outdoor patio slab. If a subfloor would be installed like I think it should be, then the step down to the outside would be 3.5". The water would not be able to get into the inside because the floor inside is higher than the outside. The water would not get in anyway because the 3.5" is part of the foundation. Picture something like walking into a wading pool. Going from the outside slab to the indoor slab, you have a 3.5" step over where the sliding glass door will be installed. the step over might be a safety issue going from the inside to the outside? That is correct. The inside slab is even with the outside. It will be stucco. No written plans. Going from the house to the new patio has 2 steps, 7" high. House is a raised foundation.