Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

incloseing this area

Since everyones creative and informational juices were flowing this weekend I thought I would ask about this area of my home.I want to make this into a foyer.I started to dig it out to pour a slab and make it even with the existing slab.I have called 6 different contractors GC and roofing to come out and give me an estimate of what it will take to close this in only one showed took some photos and measurements and never heard from him again the others just never showed.The side to the right is just2x4 framed 8 ft high and will just be a closet the side to the left is brick 7ft high and will just be a framed over and drywalled.I think from the photo you can tell the differences in the roofs.I would like to have it roofed to what I think you call a gabled roof (don't really know the term for it) but I would like to be able to hang a nice light in a window above the door I will put in,but thats not a big deal like I told the contractors on the phone thats what I would like but if it works out better for a almost flat roof like on the right side thats OK to.I would like to have it extend 5 ft out from the house since thats all I can come out anyway (any permanent structure must be 125ft from the center of the road I am 130 now).what I am asking for here is suggestions I am at a bit of a loss since I have two different heights to the house and several roof angels.I don't know why the previous owner who had the additions put on never enclosed this it is an ugly gap between the old section of the house and the newer additions.I know someone one here will have some ideals on what I can do with this area thanks

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

incloseing this area

ok I see some have looked at this but no one is commenting.Let me make it a bit clearer.What I am asking do you think this is a good ideal for this use of space or dose anyone have a better suggestion.If you think it a good ideal is it workable without to much headach (had enough of those on this house already).Do you see problems with the hight differances or with the way the differant roofs come together .I am going to open a can of worm here but come on give me your opinions (ouch)

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

incloseing this area

This would be a real pain to frame for a roof. As a contractor I would pass on the job. In order to shed water properly the roof lines would be unbalanced.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote