Inadequate Foundation? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

inadequate foundation?

long story, but I ended up taking my home BACK from a guy who screwed me pretty good. He ALSO put this big addition on here, no permits etc.. AND I think the foundation is not deep enough. it is only 24 inches BELOW grade. It does have cinder blocks on it then so the wood walls are sitting on 34 inches I guess but not below grade. This is a TWO story, I am in North indiana.. thanks in advance. I will be dealing with the local guys soon but want some education first. dan

Advertisement

sixty7flh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

inadequate foundation?

What is the required frost depth where you are?

You block foundation walls are probably much stringer than the wood above, no matter how badly they may be built.

If you are not below the frost line and want to avoid any heaving problems, take a look at the concept of "shallow frost insulating" or some thing like that in the 2006 IRC. It involves using rigid insualtion vertically and horizontally below grade to protect shallow footings. I am sorry I do not have a code handy, but htere is a concept that could help you avoid heaving and underpinning.

Advertisement

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

inadequate foundation?

I have used the shallow footing detail concretemasonary is talking about, it is a real neat system and will save you many $$ in repairs.

Rule of thumb is (That I know of)

Standard 48" depth for frost level
Footing @ 36" needs 2" rigid foam 2' out from wall
Footing @ 24" needs 3" rigid foam 3' out from wall
Footing @ 12" needs 4" rigid foam 4' out from wall