Illegal Construction; How Will Building Department React? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Illegal construction; How will building department react?

I'm bidding on a foreclosure in Berkeley, CA. It has an addition on the upper level (see attached picture) that looks illegal if only because of how it is supported, and a search of the permit history shows nothing for the last 20 years. A bank owns it now, and part of the disclosures is a requirement that the buyer meet with the building department before escrow closes to discuss any issues.

I'm wondering how they are likely to react. Demand it be torn down? Require that I get new permits and bring it up to code? Pay a fine? If I were to buy this place I would build an addition below the illegal construction, adding a foundation for it and the second story. Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Illegal construction; How will building department react?-addition.jpg  

Advertisement

limey510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

There is absolutely no way to predict what they'll do, if anything. My advice would be don't bid until you have a definitive answer to the question. The only way to know for sure is to call them. Things like this aren't prescribed by the code, it is up to the authority having jurisdiction.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I dig the stairs, BTW.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #4

I bought a house that was a short sale, bank agreed to let owners sell the house at a loss. Bank gets all the $$, doesn't have to go thru foreclosure & evicting them

I went the building Inspector & explained I was interested in buying the property & if there were any issues that I would need to take care of. I had to get rid of an abandoned fridge & move the shed out of the side yard. He did mention that the PO had tried to enclose the front porch & if I wanted to I would need a permit. They had already enclosed the former front porch (no permit) - he allowed that to stay. Other then that he was OK

Only the Inspector will know/decide what will have to be done
Anything else is just a guess
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

having bought a few in past yrs, the cost's always included in my ' buy price ',,, if someone else wants it for more, God bless 'em,,, this is a business where everyone's entitled to make errors.

no habla ' bailout '
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote