If You Want It Done Right Do It Yourself... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 272

if you want it done right do it yourself...

Just a warning to all diy'ed out there. lesson learned here, in the process of residing my house. About 10 months ago had a window company install new windows at my place, it was a city endorsed program where the windows 1/2 off installed. Long story short I was pulling off the old exterior window trim, I removed the top trim board , and then the bottom trim board and all appeared to be stable. Next I removed the left trim board, prying from the bottom up, right after the top of the trim board popped out the whole left side of the window popped out of the window frame falling towards me! I caught it and yelled for the wife and together we somehow managed to save it but wow I could of been seriously hurt! The problem was there was a 2"+ gap between the window itself and the window trimmer and the contractor used 2-1/2" screws, well after the thickness of the window frame the screws holding the window in penetrated the trimmer oh about an 1/8", so after I cut the caulk and removed the trim there was nothing holding it in place!! Oh and I forgot to mention this is a 8'-0" wide by 40" tall bay window!

I will be calling the window company here after my nerves calm down to have them come take a look at whats going to happen when I pull the trim off the other 4 windows they installed.

Advertisement

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

If you want it done right either hire an Owner's Rep to supervise or supervise yourself....

There are alot of contractor's who have pride in their work and do it right, but I find there are usually more who put their pride aside to ensure they make extra $. You got the latter. They decided not to properly prep the opening because they wanted to save the time and put that extra $ in their pockets...

I hired a hardwood flooring contractor a few months ago and he threw out 1/2 of my shoe mold, got polyurethane on the base trim and walls, and didn't clean before applying the poly leaving tons of bubbles in the first coat. I inspected on the first day and promptly fired him. Got a competent contractor in and he finished the job right for cheaper than I initially budgeted.

Advertisement

AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AGWhitehouse For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-18-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

this is exactly why i do it all myself, or get someone who I have personally worked with in the past to do and make vey clear what I expect. I work for a commercial GC as a superintendent so I am fortunate to know someone in all trades. I cannot stand for things to be sone half a**ed, no one wins. Today almost all houses are built to MINUMUM standards and our society has gotten use to it or just don't know better. There are plenty of true craftspeople out there who do quality but not many are willing pay for that quality.
woodmeistro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodmeistro For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (07-19-2011)