Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

Share |

Ideas on driveway/home placement

I'd like to get some input on the placement of a driveway placement for a home I'm planning to build soon. Attached is a rough sketch of the layout - I'm curious to know if should use a side-load instead of front-facing garage. Also, which side of the home should I put the garage - west or east?

The home sits about 15 feet above the roadway so the driveway entrance has an initial gradual incline to the home.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

mandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Renovations contractor

That's very rough .. Something more than just a box with a question mark would be helpful ... Like where is the front door, what style of house, how many floors, rooms over garage or not, etc etc. Generally though it would be a bit weird to have the garage on opposite side of house from the driveway ;-)

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #3

how about a real pic ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #4

Yes, the crude rectangle with a question mark is a bit rough but it was intentional. The best that I can provide in the absence of a real pic is the builders rendition of the home: http://waynehomes.com/homes-plans/in...?a=detail&i=27

Of course the home can be flipped but I tend to agree that a driveway that cuts across the front yard is odd. I guess I'm wondering on if I should side-load the garage or not. My primary concern is not being able to showcase the elevation - guests might miss that 'wow' factor if they are pulling up the driveway and straight into the view of a garage :-(
mandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Renovations contractor

So what's stopping you from asking your builder? Your initial post suggested you were actually building the home ... Clearly that's not the case so ask the guy who's building it ... Or am I missing something here ??
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #6

Too many questions still for any kind of good answer.
1- where are you located? hot or cold climate?
2- will you use the garage for anything besides storing a vehicle? and how many vehicles?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #7

I like a detached garage for a few reasons. One of the reasons is that there will be some space between your house and the garage. This space may be shady all day long, or in the morning/afternoon. It may create a wind tunnel. It may be a place to park an additional vehicle or two. Maybe you can use the space as a patio to entertain on, or to wheel out your tools on and use as an outdoor workshop.

You can put a wall or fence across the front and back of this space and turn it into a very sheltered space for a young child to play. Or a place to let out a dog.
cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #8

Side entry garages give a nicer look from the street

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #9

If you're in snow country, side entrance driveways are usually easier to plow, while front entrance are easier to blow (shorter) assuming you drive enters from the street in the front.
For the plan you linked, the side entrance would require a larger beam or two doors to carry the roof load, so it may be more expensive.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I would like to know climate also and what kind of grade and slope you are dealing with and some lot dimensions would be helpful. I know you said the house sits ~15 feet above but over what linear dimension.

Anyhow can you update your profile to include your location.

If you have the budget, you might want to work with a landscape architect, civil engineer or other site designer on this to put all your grading and drainage plans in order.

Last edited by user1007; 07-02-2012 at 07:05 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote