Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #1

Share |

Ideas on building a roof for this deck

Hi all,

Planning on building a roof for this deck. I want to extend the roof to the edge of the concrete slab currently in place. In a couple of years, the rest of the backyard will be filled with a pool and a deck area. For now, we want to build a roof that covers the entire area. It will extend from the left bump-out to the right bump-out (one being the master room and the other the kitchen nook). Any ideas? Do I need to remove the stucco to attach the ledger to or just drilling through and flashing it will be enough? I would assume that where the current roof is on the bump-outs is on the same line that the new ledger will be attached to. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]
flyboylr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #2

Forgot to add, the house is cinder block on the first floor and wood on the second story. I am also in Florida.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

I'd recommend calling your building official to see what the code requirements would be for what you're proposing. I know you're only looking for ideas but knowing what will be required will allow you to toss out bad ideas easier. they may even have a guideline for you to follow.

good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

Yea you're right. Also, after reading some horror stories about water intrusion and the work to patch up the stucco I'm leaning towards a huge pergola extending the width of the house.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #5

Well the wife wants a roof extending from bump out to bump out as she likes the one our neighbors have. Going to contact the building inspector and ask what he needs. Any ideas or things to keep in mind while working this out?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #6

photos of the one she likes?????

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #7

Here is an incognito picture. The only difference is ours would be open and enclosed by the pool screen in the future.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #8

It appears that you may have to dig into the two bump outs so, you'll need to remove the shingles and the framing. Or, you may be able to sneak the header between the bump out and the upper floor windows. If you are planning a porch for the length of the house then you have more concrete pad to pour.
Bugman1400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #9

Yea. I will pour the rest of the slab before tackling this. Also, since the slabs don't have footers, I was thinking of just putting in some footers for the posts beyond the slab since in the future this area will all become part of the pool deck area. And yes, I will have to get into the bump outs and build from there. The only thing I'm not too crazy about it the post in the middle. I need to find out if I can do without by increasing the size of the joist (i think it's called joist)
Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #10

Every one talks about going into the house, but is that needed? Could you build a detached covering? Put a doublewide (flexible if possible) gutter between the house and the roof of the covering you are building. Build the roofline of the covering to follow the house but not be attached. It would remove some of costs and also issues with inspectors since you don't tie into the house. Just a question as I am in a similar situation.
Mouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

That's an option, but we want a more "built in" look. I also going to be running wiring for lights, a fan, speakers and cable for tv.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #12

Guys, any idea on what size of engineered beam I would need to span the entire 30 foot length?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
Bill Kearney

Just check with the local building permits office and see what they require for a structure like this. Otherwise if you could be faced with having to tear down an improperly done one and re-do it.

That and when you poured those slabs did you also dig down and pour footers for the posts that are going to be necessary to support the eventual roof structure? If not then you'd going to have to be cutting the slabs for them.

Having an approved plan, ahead of time, saves a LOT of headaches down the line...
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #14

Well, just sat down with a GC that does DIY Improvement Counseling. He came out to the house, we talked about what I wanted to do and he took measurements and gave suggestions. He will have an architect draw the plans (as required by my county) and then I go on from there. He is also available to come out and give suggestions (for a fee) if I get stuck while doing any part of the project. Anyways, he suggested a 4/12 shed style roof with 4 concrete block posts and we will be using 4 concrete lintels (maybe only 2 depending on what the architect says). I will have to put in 4 new footings and if the architect does say we need the other 2 lintels then I will have to break part of the existing slab and pour proper footings.

Pros or cons as to this idea? He says it will be a little more expensive but will be a stronger and less maintenance structure.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #15

Anybody??? We are meeting with the architect on Wednesday. Anything I should be asking or looking out for?