Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #1

Share |

Ideas for bizarre door?

Hey Folks! I am new to this, but I'll try to keep things short and to the point. I have a small 1950's bathroom, which is really 1 full bath and 1 half bath connected by a doorway that was added by a previous owner. We've struglled with what to do with this doorway since we bought the house - the physical presence of the door itself takes up precious space, and the functional concept is goofey (who gets to lock the door, toilet user #1 or user #2? ). We are finishing up a bathroom remodel, which we kept simple, e.g. stripped to studs but no moving of walls and plumbing locations, and I really want to make this eyesore look nice. We can't do a pocket door becuase there is plumbing in the walls on either side of the frame. We've considered bi-fold doors, accordion style doors, and even a curtain(most of these ideas I hate), but we just can't think of anything that maintains the functionality, looks nice/high quality, and doesn't eat up tons of space. Any ideas I am not thinking of here???

Mstrvb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #2

Ideas for bizarre door?

Does each bathroom have its own separate entrance, or is the door between them the only way into one of them? If they have separate entrances, why not just remove the door and wall the opening in?

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
STAFF

Ideas for bizarre door?

How about double doors?

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Stairguy

Ideas for bizarre door?

without knowing the actual layout of the house, I would have to agree with Jim. It seems to make the most sense to me.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Ideas for bizarre door?

Yeah I'd just remove it, and remove as much of the wall as you can, and make an archway maybe, or just nothing. If there are two entrances just make them both lockable doors. Only thing, a user has to actually lock both doors before doing their duty. I've seen this though.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #6

Ideas for bizarre door?

Thanks for all the quick responses. Each bathroom has its own separate entrance (the doorway between them just makes the bathroom(s) seem bigger). We had thought about removing the door, but in discussing with my real estate agent, I'm worried that without a lockable door between the two rooms that house will have a to list a one bathroom house, so even if I don't re-hang the door I want a complete plan on how to reinstall it when I sell. (Can anyone confirm or deny this?)
Interesting idea about double doors, but one side of the doorway is adjacent to the tub and a toilet, so I'm kind-of stuck with one set of hinges where they currently are.
Mstrvb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #7

Ideas for bizarre door?

If you do what Jim and Milleryme suggest you would have two distinct bathrooms. Walling in a doorway is relatively easy. Pull out the door and casing and jambs, nail in a 2x4 frame and cover with drywall.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 AM   #8

Ideas for bizarre door?

I would tend to close the two bathrooms in. I have seen a homeowner who installed a pony wall and glass blocks between and it looked good in MHO, I should also add that he paid a lot of attention to the details in the finish work with helped a lot.

fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote