Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

Share |

an idea for siding a shed/studio

The old shed (former chicken coop) needs to be torn down, but oddly enough, it has a basement (for moonshining ). So I need to rebuild it, or I'll have a big hole in my yard. The Mrs. nixed the extra deep hot-tub idea , so I plan on rebuilding it as an outdoor entertainment area and art studio (kiln in the basement, I don't have the desire to build a still). Anyways, enough background; on to the BIG idea....

I was thinking normal stud walls, but put a layer of the blue foam sheet insulation between the studs and the exterior sheeting. This would eliminate the through the stud heat transfer path to some extent, and help get the sheeting to hang out over the uneven foundation. The current shed is kind of plopped on top of the foundation with some of the foundation exposed, letting water in to rot the structure. For sheeting, I was planning on pressure treated plywood, with real and fake battens ripped from a pressure treated 2 x whatevers. T1-11 would be much simpler, but then it would match my neighbors house. This way, it is at least neutral, and I wont have to paint it, plus it will match the deck I plan on attaching on its southern wall.

Does anyone see a problem anywhere with this basic construction idea?

Last edited by forresth; 09-08-2011 at 07:52 PM.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote