Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Idea for insulating between floors.... good/bad...?

We keep our basement quite cold in the winter, mainly because our teenage son likes it and I figure it's less to heat (I know this might be backwards thinking with heat rising, etc, etc, but that's for another topic). Anyways, the main floor always has a cold floor, and we can hear everything in the basement, so I had an idea....

We are remodeling the fore mentioned main level and putting new floors in the entire area (about 500 sq ft). I thought about boring holes in the sub floor and doing blown-in insulation through the holes, to fill the floor joists, between the finished basement ceiling and our soon to be new flooring on the main floor.

If any of that made sense, what do you think of it? Is there any risk I'm overlooking? There are no can lights in the basement, and the basement cieling is drywall. I'd rather not rip up the entire sub floor of the main level obviously just for this.

TIA for any thoughts or suggestions!

Ininkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

your probably better off insulating the basement walls
for thermal value

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

I think you'd be better off to attack the joist bays from below. Much easier to repair drywall. I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the subfloor. The deflection (bounce) of your main floor is directly related to the strength of your subfloor.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
I think you'd be better off to attack the joist bays from below. Much easier to repair drywall. I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the subfloor...
I agree, not to mention having to disrupt the finished floor.

One thing to take into consideration is if you have recessed lighting. If the units are not I.C. rated (for insulation), then you will have to work around that issue, or replace them.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #5

I definately agree that going at this from the top side isn't a great way to do it. You'd definately be better off repairing a couple strips of sheetrock the length of the basement than you would be drilling holes in the subfloor.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #6

Keep in mind the holes you are drilling will need to be big enough to accomidate the insulation blower (probably 3") plus some room to wiggle the nozzle around to direct the insulation (maybe an additional 3"?). So now your drilling 6" holes in your subfloor probably not a good idea.

Plus you'll need a lot of em to insure complete coverage of the insulation.

Also keep in mind the subfloor itself is part of the noise reducing assembly. So now your cutting a bunch of holes for noise to travel thru, in order to reduce the amount of noise that travels thru...

I agree that cutting holes in the subfloor is probably not the most effective approach.
Garasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Not to mention that turning your floor into swiss cheese is not a very good idea from a structural perspective. Your subfloor keeps your floor joists nice and tight. If you have wires in there those will be hard to navigate with a hose regardless if you have potlights.

Pull the drywall in the basement, it's so much easier to do from below. It's more man hours, and will be a lot of work but you'll have a much better result doing it that way. Plus, once you got the drywall off, if you got the ceiling height, you can consider using resbar (metal strips that separate the drywall from the joists) to further eliminate sound travel. Don't forget to use the green Roxul "safeNsound" insulation. Blown insulation has nothing on that stuff!!!
markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #8

Alright guys, I'll heed to your advice. It's just so dang tempting when you have all the carpet out and the subfloor is staring at you saying "Now is the time to do something!!!" But, all valid points posted.

I am horrible at drywall, the cieling is textured, and I hate painting more than anything in the world... so before I do anything below I will do nothing at all, haha.

I guess before the hardwood goes down I could look into thermal sub floors or heat... but ick.. more money!

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #9

You could maybe look into "quiet" subfloor systems, although those tend to be designed to keep the sound of footsteps from travelling between floors rather then typical voices and what not. But it may be a way to provide some sound attenuation without tearing up the drywall.

Be forewarned, I am not knowledgable on those floor systems at all...
Garasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ininkus View Post
I am horrible at drywall, the cieling is textured, and I hate painting more than anything in the world... so before I do anything below I will do nothing at all, haha.
Being a drywall pro, textured ceilings are actually way easier than smooth ceilings and require a lot less work! 1-2 less coats required, and no final sanding! You could also look to rent a spraygun and then trowel over it, or just spray gun it. You have a lot of choices with textured ceiling, you can always change it up.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 516

they blow sidewlls here all the time,,,whats the differnce between a side wall and a floor. They drill a 1 inch hole for blowing thru(aproximetely) maybe 1 1/4 at largest. mennards gives you the blower if you buy product there,,,check with them for hole size,,that size hole in drywall in basement isnt hard to fix,,,they may even make a pop in plug till next time your ready to paint!!

personnally I LIKE the idea!! Nothing like avoiding heating cubic feet you dont need to,,plus the sound deadening,,,cool

Last edited by 4just1don; 01-05-2009 at 03:03 PM.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
they blow sidewlls here all the time,,,whats the differnce between a side wall and a floor. They drill a 1 inch hole for blowing thru(aproximetely) maybe 1 1/4 at largest. mennards gives you the blower if you buy product there,,,check with them for hole size,,that size hole in drywall in basement isnt hard to fix,,,they may even make a pop in plug till next time your ready to paint!!
That's true, the only difference is there's no feet or heavy objects sitting directly over those sidewall holes. I recently had sidewalls blown in but they still put a wood plug to "maintain integrity" as they put it. I can imagine over time if I was stepping on it, it might become loose and squeak over time.

Holes in the ceiling can be patched using the plastic bag trick for textured ceilings..
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #13

Ut oh... now the idea is back in my head.

Ya know, I understand the swiss cheese concern, but think of this; I'm going to be putting tile down, which will require that cement board to be screwed down (whatever that stuff is called). Won't that be PLENTY of reinforcement over my swiss cheese floor.....?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Ut oh... now the idea is back in my head.

Ya know, I understand the swiss cheese concern, but think of this; I'm going to be putting tile down, which will require that cement board to be screwed down (whatever that stuff is called). Won't that be PLENTY of reinforcement over my swiss cheese floor.....?
Possibly.. but the idea scares me. I'd hate to say yes and then your tile cracks because of the bounce in the floor as a result of a hole(s)...
Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I'm going to be putting tile down, which will require that cement board to be screwed down (whatever that stuff is called). Won't that be PLENTY of reinforcement over my swiss cheese floor.....?
Absolutely not. Cement backer board offers NO structural support whatsoever.
Again, I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST drilling any holes in the subfloor.